3G iPhone performance vs iPhone EDGE performance

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Niiro13, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Forgive me if this has been posted before, but I have two questions:

Side by side, which gets better EDGE reception? Does the plastic on the 3G iPhone really make a difference (or at least the relocation of the antennas being in the headphone jack, chrome bezel, and camera ring)? I remember travelling and getting one bar with my iPhone 2G yet another phone right next to it gets four or five bars. While 3G is what I would like, it would be nice to get better regular reception at the least when there's no 3G.

Secondly, and I don't think it has been mentioned, even though they both have the same hardware and similar firmwares, is there a performance difference between the two?

Thanks!

2. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

3G is better voice quality and faster internet speeds opposed to edge which is lower quality voice quality and slower net speeds. The plastic does make a difference opposed to metal as wireless signal (Bluetooth,Wifi,3g,edge,GPS etc..) have a hard time penetrating to metal to connect to what they need to connect to as wireless radios cannot transmit well through metal. Your iphone 2g was getting lower signal due to your metal backing as stated above, OR it is because of different carrier amoung your 2 phones. If you looking for a better iphone the iphone 3G is your phone.

Hardware wise I myself am unsure, but I think there would be considering the Iphone 3G requires a special radio chip to be able to connect to 3G cell sites and in order to do this it has to be compatable with the iphone main board, so yes they may be slightly different but different none the less.

-Diseal3

3. Niiro13 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks! Yeah, I know all about 3G :p. I definitely want it cause of the IM applications being very slow on EDGE. I was just wondering the signal strength...cause where I work (college) is like the middle of nowhere. Couple that with the fact that our department is in the middle of the school...I basically cannot call anyone while at work with my iPhone 2G unless it's important in case that I get a dropped call (which happens all the time). Shame too, since that means I can't test any of my programs which use the cellular part of the phone.

I guess I never figured the metal to make that much of a difference [3 bars difference](especially since it's plastic at the bottom).

Hardware wise I was wondering, since the people I know who have the iPhone 3G (not that many) don't seem to have the constant slow down once a certain application is installed like *coughsupermonkeyballcough*

4. justiny macrumors 6502

justiny

I've been really impressed with EDGE performance on my 3G compared to my original iPhone. Not a huge difference, but a little better IMO.