3g iPhone price in Australia

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tcmacintosh, Jun 8, 2008.

1. tcmacintosh macrumors regular

Anyone know the price it will be aproximatly?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Nope.

If you want my guess I'm going to say $699 for the unlocked "buy anywhere" version. Subsidised versions will be various prices depending on the plan.

3. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

Chundles, is that in Oz or in USA?
    and is there an "unlocked - buy anywhere" version?

4. tcmacintosh thread starter macrumors regular

Australia as in southern hemisphere. Im pretty sure in Australia the laws require there to be a unlocked iphone.

5. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

oh really?
    i never knew.
    but why would there be a law stating that?

6. tcmacintosh thread starter macrumors regular

not sure. a bit like in France with the original iphone how they were required to have an unlocked iphone available.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Ergh, so many people asking so many questions with no real answers.

I don't bloody know, we're all just making guesses - stop basing decisions on what we're guessing and wait until the local pricing is available.

It's illegal in Australia to sell a product that forces you to buy another product for it to work without having another option. iPods are fine because iTunes is free. iPhones here will be sold as locked versions and unlocked versions. The locked versions will be cheaper and subsidised by the carriers whilst those who don't want to lock themselves into a contract can pay more and do whatever they want with it.

8. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I am more interested in the plans and making sure they both dont offer the same stuff for the same price. That would smack of price fixing/ monopoly issues

9. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

Check the plans for Blackberries and Windows Mobile devices. They all use 3G, so I'm sure they would be similar.

I predict a price starting price of $299 with a 2 year contract.

I remember a couple years ago my phone broke while I was in New Zealand I lost my phone and had to get a new one. When I bought it at a Vodafone store I asked if it would was unlocked so I could use it with my Aussie sim and the clerk told me that none of the Vodafone phones were locked, even though they all have the insignias, they don't sell locked phones. So keep your fingers crossed.

10. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

He made a definitive statement of 'less than $199 USD' in all 70 countries. *8GB obviously.

Today? 210.20 AUD

I was confused how they will handle fluctuating monies in many of those countries?

11. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

will be on a pre paid plan
    vfone will unlock for $75 look it up it varies depending on how you do it

be about $200 when locked me thinks. im going no unlock or JB with this one

12. tcmacintosh thread starter macrumors regular

where did you read that vodafone will unlock it for $75. I'm just interested to read it because. i was planning to cancel my contract with three network to sign up on vodafone or optus to get the iphone.

13. priesty16 macrumors newbie

this is just the thread i was looking for.

ive read that vodafone will sell the iPhone for $699 - presumbly unlocked, not in any contract. When i read this i was like WHAT! that's heaps more than the $299 Jobs mentioned, so this must mean that the iPhone's will be sold unlocked for heaps more but more like the $199 and $299 on contracts.

im also with three and have been wondering if three will be bringing out the iPhone also, but if the phone is unlocked then you can just buy an unlocked iPhone and chuck in your 3 Sim card...?

also i've read that in Australia by law phones have to be unlocked if the customer requests it. (for free)

14. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

It's easy...

subsidised iPhones will be:

AU$249 for the 8GB
    AU$399 for the 16GB

unsubsidised ones will be:

AU$499 for the 8GB
    AU$629 for the 16GB

I deduce this by the way that Apple have always sold their products in AU$ relative to their US$. A simple way to determine this is look at another product apple sells that's the same price as the iPhone and is sold in both US and Aus already.

Happy hunting guys!

15. samab macrumors 6502a

Another round of legal mis-understandings.

Europeans were saying these things as well --- before the iphone's launch in Europe. Turn out that none of these countries have any real concrete laws on anything.

16. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

$699 sounds about right for the unlocked phone.

I reckon it would be closer to the UK in their plans - you pay a percentage of the price on a lower priced plan and it would be free on a higher priced plan.

Data is going to be the killer though - we don't have good precedents at the moment for flat rate data plans though things are starting to change. You never know - Optus and Vodafone may be looking at being ultra-aggressive in order to really hurt Telstra. If they come up with a plan that's not just adequate but something really amazing they could take soooo many customers away from Telsuck. And we all know the one thing that motivates Telstra is the bottom line.

17. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yes, but Apple is not selling the iPhone as yet - we'll see when they open their store in Sydney. The carrier in this case decides how much to subsidise the phone price for - they'll make up the loss in the monthly charges. Some plans in the UK include a free iPhone 3G - wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing here.

18. tcmacintosh thread starter macrumors regular

where did you read this?

19. allbrokeup macrumors 6502

Ummmm No....:D

Owwww, I was gonna guess the price and say that our laws down here don't require that. ( I posted about a second ago with this info) and Ghengis Khan beat me to it! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Anyway,

Cheers!

allbrokeup.
    :apple::apple::eek::eek::mad::mad::apple::apple:

20. kgraf6 macrumors member

Was I the only one that heard Steve say that the iphone will sell for a MAXIMUM of $199 US for the 8gb model and a MAXIMUM of $299 US for the 16gb model.

I just don't understand how everyone has jumped to the conclusion that they are the subsidized prices? I am most probably wrong in saying this, but I assumed that they were the maximum prices that the product could be sold for, considering he used the word maximum.

I would have thought that carriers who subsidize the iphone would give it to you free on a 24 month contract.

Anyone willing to explain?

21. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

No. That's the max price of the product, as long as you sign a contract. If you sign a larger contract you might get your phone cheaper, or if you pay more upfront you might be able to get away without a contract (or as per AT&T in the US we might only be able to break contract after a specified time). It's all speculation here until we see what plans are available from vodafone and optus. However you can be 100% certain that there is no way to walk away with a non-contracted iPhone for $US199/$US299.

22. kgraf6 macrumors member

However, what I do not understand is that the iPhone is going to be released in 70 countries over the next couple of months. How could Apple possibly have contracts with over 70 (assuming multiple carriers in some countries) carriers forcing them to sell the phone at their subsidized price? Isn't that up to the carrier to make such a decision? I can't imagine many carriers allowing Apple to make such demands.

23. samab macrumors 6502a

Of course, the carriers can make their own decisions.

The problem is that the real world is forcing the decisons onto the carriers themselves. They don't want to become the center of the iphone exporting world by pricing their iphone even $10 cheaper than the next door country.

24. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Why on earth would they care as long as they were making $$$ on the product?