3G iPhone Quality Issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KMApple, Jul 15, 2008.

1. KMApple macrumors newbie

I bought my 16GB Black on Friday, through CPW, as an upgrade.

When I took the phone from the box i felt a rough edge along the sides. It seems like the back and the silver bezel around the edges haven't met properly, so when you hold it you can feel the rough edge.

I'm sure this isn't supposed to be this way, my 1st gen was perfectly smooth.

Anyone else got this problem?

Now i would take it back to CPW for an exchnge (do you think this will be possible?) BUT they gonna be out of 16GB for at least another week. Would the Apple store exchange it.

Any advice would be great.

KMApple :apple:

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Yes, the Apple Store should exchange it. That's how it works here in America.

I have 2 3G iPhones. One has this issue, the other doesn't. Personally, my old first gen iPhone had this issue slightly as well, but i got used to it over time. It would be better to return it soon than wait a while though.

3. KMApple thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks,

I'll call into an apple store and have a chat with the guys there.
    Lets just hope they'd exchange it okay.

Bit of a silly question now but, Am i better to do a Restore on the handset and box it all back up? I think what i mean is.. Will they do an exchange there an then or will I have to go back another day to do it...especially with the queues for new iPhones they might push me to the back as not a priority. :(

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I think you should call and ask them what there stock is. I think you get first priority since yours is defective. They should replace it though, no questions asked.

As long as all your stuff is on your computer, you don't have to do a restore. Just clear all your personal data off the phone. They restore the phones back in who-ville where all the bad iPhones go.

5. know-it-all5 macrumors 6502

I am having that same problem with mine also. I will drive over to my local apple store after i wake up, and have them replace it.

6. guru_ck macrumors 6502

I've got the same problem as you. The left side of my iPhone is not flush. The back piece sticks out past the chrome trim. The right side is OK though!

I bought two iPhones for my company and a couple of my friends bought as well. None of the others that I have played with have this issue. My phone also has sporadic issues with the screen orientation sensor. Sometimes when I flip the phone in a different direction Safari or other applications will not adapt. I think this issue may be caused by one of the applications I have installed but I am not sure.

I'm going to the Apple store tomorrow to see what they can do.

7. KMApple thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm on my way to the Apple Store now.

I'll let you know how i get on....

...Fingers Crossed!

8. aimfire macrumors regular

aimfire

hmm, I also have this issue with mine... on both sides, where the plastic meets the metal, particularly in the middle, there is a rough edge.

I was considering exchanging it anyways because of the (lack of) 3G issue, so this settles it. Such a pain, lol.

9. KMApple thread starter macrumors newbie

So went to the Apple Store at the Trafford Centre to see about a replacement.

Sure no problem said the guy, but they didn't have any Black 16GB in Stock. He checked the Arndale and they didn't either. So I said I don't mind changing it for he White version as long as it doesn't have the same problems. They wouldn't allow this as something about the factory would notice a change and needs to be like for like...etc...

Just then he said actually we have the black in stock now but can only arrange that tomorrow or later this week as the Genius Bar is full.

So now gotta try and arrange another day off to swap this.

In all fairness the Customer Service in the Apple store was fantastic. The guy was helpful and even though i purchased from CPW they have no issues replacing it. Top Class.

Only wish I had been able to sort it there and then... Impatient...Me? :D

10. MegaBit macrumors member

Got a Replacement

I had purchased a black 16 GB on day 1 and it had a bad camera (every photo had a yellow corner and a pink corner). I had also noticed the cut-outs for the speakers had what seemed to be burrs from the machining process. These burrs were also present on other cut-outs in addition to chips. That tells me the tool used was getting dull or moving too fast. I also had light escaping from the display backlight all along the left side where the chrome bezel meets the glass.

I took it to the Apple store and they replaced it for the camera issue. The replacement was a "phone-only" that came in a very small white box. When I called to make the Genius appointment they said not to worry- they have stock of replacements for all models. Right now these are new units, not refurbs.

The new one is of superior quality compared to the first. I examined it in detail and cannot find any flaws such that were on the first one.

11. guru_ck macrumors 6502

So I scheduled an appointment at the Genius Bar @ Valley Fair for 2PM today. I arrived and bypassed the line and was called up pretty quickly. Once I got up there I explained my issues and the rep was happy to replace it but said that they were sold out of 16GB Black and only had 16GB White. He recommended that I go up to the Palo Alto store.

So I drove 30 minutes to the Palo Alto store and when I arrived there was no line and they were taking down the barricades. I found that kind of odd. Got inside and they said that it would be around a 45 minute wait for the Genius Bar. So I waited and waited and got up their and they told me that they just sold out of all iPhones (which explained the lack of a line). I told them that the other reps informed me that they had some extras on hands for customers looking to exchange. He checked with his manager and indeed they had a few extras laying around. He brought one out and did the swap, we opened it up, and it had the same issue as my original! So we tried our luck again and thankfully the second one is perfect!

So I think this entire fiasco is over with. Spent 7 hours waiting in line on Thursday night only to find out that my account with AT&T still had some type of corporate code tied to it. Several calls to AT&T and they finally fixed that on Saturday. Waited in line to get the phone again on Saturday for 3 hours. Then I spent 3 hours today running all over town trying to get it exchanged!

Glad it's all over with and kudos to Apple for the hassle free exchange.

12. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

I had to exchange my iPhone 3G today as well. I bought it on Friday (waited 7 hours in line) and noticed right away that the left side bezel on the iPhone face was slightly separated from the screen allowing the screen's light from inside to seep through the left edge of the iPhone. On top of that, the vibrate mechanism didn't just vibrate, it rattled as if it were loose! Kind of surprising to have these issues when my first iPhone from last year was so flawless (for me at least) but I guess these things happen sometimes.

In any case, I walked into the Pasadena, California store today with no appointment (shocked that there was still a line of people to buy the iPhone 4 days after release though) and they exchanged it for me. Now the funny thing is, they too said they were sold out of the Black 16 GB and offered me the white one or for me to wait a few days. I very politely said I want the black and had already waited in line on Friday for 7 hours so I'd rather not wait any more if at all possible. They said "ok, just one minute" went into the back and came out with a new, sealed Black 16 GB. I think they are hoarding them for new sales as much as they can, but they've got them in stock if you insist (at least at my store they did.)

Oh, and on this new phone, my bezel problem is fixed but the vibrate still rattles (though not as bad as the one I exchanged.) Are they just using a new vibrate mechanism?

13. tommib macrumors newbie

I have a slightly sticking out black back casing too, probably less than 1mm though but I can feel it when I use it. It's under the volume switch. Could this have happened when applying the Griffin Wave case? Was really tight and was an effort, or is this manufacturing? Would Apple swap it or laugh at me? Tom.

14. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

it's actually quite shocking that the donkeys lie to you and say that there are no black ones when in actual fact they are.. if a handset is defective they should be down on their knees apologizing and replace it instantly NOT LIE...