3G Iphone Tethering to Laptop as data device

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dontdothat317, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Dontdothat317 macrumors member

Sorry about the newbie question :D. I don't own an Iphone, but from my understanding the current 2G Iphone can not tether to a laptop without being hacked and using a 3rd party application.

Has anything been said concerning the 3G Iphone and tethering?

I'm tossing between this an the Tilt (hell, who isn't?) and the Tilt actually LISTS tethering as a data device as one of its features on AT&T's official website...

2. Shannighan macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

leave it up to 3rd party developers.
    im pretty sure it has been done on jailbreak

3. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Nothing was mentioned about tethering. So I assume it will continue to not have that functionality. I'd check with AT&T to make sure.

4. rolex54 macrumors 6502

we will most likely have to rely on the hacking community for this feature
    at&t prolly will not allow it as an app in the store
    and at&t has a $65.00 a month data fee if you tether your phone with other devices

5. Dontdothat317 thread starter macrumors member

aren't people tethering regardless? how would they know you're tethering?

6. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

It's a hardware and software issue. It isn't about knowing. It is about ability.

7. javaGuru macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

I was wondering the same thing. I would love to be able to tether the new iPhone to my macbook pro. I currently own the original iPhone as well as the Tilt. I love the tilt for its 3G and tethering capabilities.

8. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

Data usage. They know how much a mobile device should be using for internet.

9. aerospace macrumors 6502a

If you browse the same sites on your computer as on your phone the data usage will be the same.

Now if you start downloading 1.5gig movies everyday it might raise a few eyebrows. On my iphone in 10months of daily web surfing I've downloaded 1.5gig total.

10. wako macrumors 65816

I highly advice you guys to NOT tether your phones. AT&T recently made a their unlimited plans limited to only 5GB. If you go excess of 5GB you risk being punished by either a smack with surcharges or your line completely pulled.

So despite it saying unlimited data, ITS NOT. Tether = BAD

( of course this depends on what you plan on doing when you tether. I personally would just leave my torrents running 24/7 so 5GB would rack up real fast, but so does surfing around on youtube or listening to internet radio all the time )

11. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Its against AT&T's Terms Of Use, ran across that the other day while looking fro something else.

12. Dontdothat317 thread starter macrumors member

A little bit off topic now.. but

Pretty lame IMO. But nowadays Wifi is so readily available that it shouldn't be an issue. AT&T Wants 60 dollars a month for a data plan that allows 5GB of download, tethering permitted... lol what a rip. I wonder if this will ever go down in price in the future?

13. wako macrumors 65816

sure... but so is jailbreaking an iphone, unlockign an iphone, installing applications that isnt by Apple, etc etc etc etc...

Im sure your itouch isnt in its Apple working order.

So whats stopping someone from breaking AT&Ts TOC vs. Apple's? ;)