3G iPhone to get macbook pro on the web?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bob5731, Jun 27, 2008.

1. bob5731 macrumors member

Hi
    How can tethering my 3G iPhone to get a macbook pro on the web? If I can how do I do it. :mad:

2. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

I assume you mean tethering of some sort. I think the best way is to buy a data card like the sierra 881 cheap from ebay (circa $100) and switch out your iphone sim with that. it works sooooo much better than tethering...

3. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Two frowny faces? Why so angry?

It's fairly certain that AT&T won't officially support this, but no one knows what kind of capability might open up once developers get their hands on it. It would be better if you just wait until the 3G iPhone is actually released to ask how to do this; right now it will all just be speculation.

4. bob5731 thread starter macrumors member

How can tethering a iPhone not a 3G iPhone to get a macbook pro on the web? If I can how do I do it.

5. yode macrumors 6502

you gotta jailbreak it first, Installer.app has some tethering apps

6. bob5731 thread starter macrumors member

7. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

Ok, I'm going to assume that the reason for the HORRIBLE grammar is that english isn't your first language....

That said - WE DON'T KNOW YET! AT&T *MIGHT* allow tethering... they also might not...

There's a LOT of things that are unknown at this time.

SO - sit down, relax, wait a week or so and CHILL OUT! We should have more info in a week or so. The devices won't even be on sale until 2 weeks from now.

8. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

dont bother with tethering, it really sucks... just get a wireless card, works great

9. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

Eh, I tether all the time with my LG Cu500 phone... Works great! (doing it now as a matter of fact.) Not quite as fast as using one of the Aircard devices, but I don't have to carry around an extra device, nor worry about having something sticking out of a USB port on my macbook...

10. bob5731 thread starter macrumors member

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I concur, tethering seems to be overrated. Then again, there are so many hot spots with free WiFi in the San Francisco Bay Area, I haven't given much thought to it. Can't see JB of my iPhone for any reason. :cool:

12. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

That may be true in an area like SF.... Here in Atlanta, it's MUCH different... YEs, lots of restaraunts and coffee places have free WiFi, but unless you live in downtown Atlanta, (and even then) it's such a geographically spread out city that it's impossible to have constant coverage... As such, I'm ALWAYS tethering my macbook to my phone... Luckily Atlanta is a 3G city and the coverage includes far enough out into the burbs of the metro area to cover just about everywhere I go.

Free Wifi is great... but it's still not as ubiquitous as some people seem to think it is...

13. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

I mean it sucks on the jailbroke iPhone:rolleyes:

to the OP: use the sierra usbconnect 881 wireless card. works like a charm. do a search on this forum to find more info etc

14. kevo0822 macrumors 6502

IIRC like 2 weeks ago, an AT&T spokesperson said that tethering wouldn't be supported on iPhone 3G. Something about not offering a tethering data plan for iPhone 3G, just smartphone data plan. I don't know if that means AT&T just won't "officially" support it though...

15. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

This guy is just someone on here to hastle people who want an iPhone because he thinks he's pointing out a flaw with the iPhone 3G and doesn't realize Apple never made a phone that was incapable of teathering, but that ATT doesn't want it to because they want to charge for bandwidth. So sorry bob, out of luck. Good luck with an iPhone-Klone

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=506964

16. bob5731 thread starter macrumors member