3G iPhone to have smaller screen???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ncsmith4, Apr 30, 2008.

1. ncsmith4 macrumors 6502

So Ive been reading around the rumor sites that the new 3G iPhone will have a 2.8" screen as opposed to the current 3.5" screen.

Does anyone know any reason why Apple would do this? It seems contrary to the direction that iPhone was taking the industry. Why would Apple want to make videos *smaller*? And the on-screen keyboard *smaller*? And the internet *smaller*?

It seems like a really stupid and lame move to me. Anyone else think so? Or would you be just fine with 2.8?

2. sowlerrmgh macrumors member

It would be really stupid to do that which is why i doubt it is true

3. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

My preference would be the smaller form factor even at the expense of a smaller screen.

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Common speculation is...

If the 2.8" was not just a typo, then perhaps more than one new model is coming.

For example, a GPS biz model, the current one, and a smaller, simpler one.

I'm thinking typo myself. Many other phones are 2.8, so it would be an easy mistake to make.

5. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I hope the screen stays the same. The large screen is much of the novelty of the iPhone.

6. ncsmith4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Id like that plan. I'll take the new 3G/GPS one.

7. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

I find this rumor highly unlikly!!! Why would Steve/Apple cut there own throats with manufactures creating accessories, docks, cases, radios for his product? All of these companies out there have adopted the iPhone and have major manufacturing investments going...if Apple were to change the physical size, what and how would these companies respond? "Oh, I see apple wants to be loner's and do their own thing...ok, we just won't create anything for the iPhone because he will just change it again and we will loose millions" No, I just don't think it will happen. If Apple was goingt to change the physical aspect of the iPhone then there would be an earlier announcement so that these manufacturers could re-tool and have basic accessories ready for the release of....say Generation 3 iphone.

I just think there are too many hoax's out there right now to set anything in stone until Steve says so. He is probably rolling around the office everyday laughing his ass off at all of these wild speculations, saying to himself "if they only really knew" IMHO...don't believe or trust in anything written in these blogs or predicted by those that are just looking for the lucky guess to be able to say "i told ya so" I guess we can all just keep dreaming and speculating and we won't know what is factual until iDay2!

8. newyorksole macrumors 68030

How are people supposed to type on these "smaller" iphones you are talking about? Apple wouldn't make the screen smaller and if they do it won't be significantly smaller.

9. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I wouldn't completely discount this rumour yet.

My guess is that this is not the 2nd generation iPhone with 3G, GPS etc, but an iPhone mini/nano. If Apple really want to take a huge chunk of the mobile phone market, a smaller, cheaper, pay-as-you-go iPhone is necessary. I'd buy one.

There's a good article about on iLounge about it: Shrinking iPhone, Shrinking Interface: The Issues

Here is a comparison picture of a current iPhone and a 2.8" screen version:

[​IMG]

Have you heard of the iPod?

10. mark34 macrumors 6502a

Not sure the case mfg's would be very upset. Would still have many to sell for current iPhone owners and then would get replacement sales as those same people buy new versions. Mkt would be pretty saturated without new designs for these people.

11. ncsmith4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, they change iPod size and styles almost every year. Laptop sizes change too. The accessory makes have to retool and move on. Im not saying iPhone is gonna get smaller. Im just saying that sizes DO change.

Thats kinda my point. Id *hate* a smaller keyboard. The one they have now is pretty perfect. I wouldnt want anything smaller...

12. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Who's going to buy a discontinued model?
    Who wil buy all of those cases, docks and radio's that no longer support a discontinued model?
    What will these manufactures do with the stock they have that no one would buy?
    Why would they bother creating something new for a new phone that wasn't announced wondering if the same thing is going to happen the following year?
    Remember Apple has never made cell phones before...they have no presidence in this market to rely on from this company. They can only surmize, as I have that they will treat the iPhone releases along the same lines as the iPods. I'm sorry but IMHO Generation 2 iPhone will not change physically other then maybe color, but not shape or size. Its all a rumor!

13. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

I disagree...the original iPods were still out there when they created a new generation. Then they had 2 generations still going when the shuffle was released. When the new Nano was released there were still original iPods still being produced. Not once did a previous generation just STOP and disappear without older models still being produced. They will not just stop this style of iPhone...they will update and "Maybe" release another size with the upgraded...but they are not going to just change the physical characteristics of the the one and only model.

14. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Sorry, but you are wrong. When the iPod nano was announced, the iPod mini was discontinued instantly. And each time a new nano was announced, the previous versions were also discontinued instantly. The same is true of all of the shuffles, and most other iPods,.

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I still think it's a typo, but...

Most current WM phones are 2.8" and their iPhone-clone keyboards work just fine.

Remember, that's diagonal size. The width drops from 2" to a little over 1-3/4". Not so much, plus you can always flip and go horizontal.

16. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

I am truly sorry to disappoint you my friend. Please go to this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod and scroll down to where it discuss's model. It will show you that there are 5 Generations of classic....ALL THE SAME PHYSICAL SIZE...which is what I have been discussing (physical changes as in size)

2 generations of Mini replace by the Nano for two more generations...ALL THE SAME PHYSICAL SIZE. 3rd Generation of Nano was change physically.

The shuffle was the only one that changed physically between generations.

And to further state my case...at NO TIME did they stop ALL models of the iPOD to affect manufacturing of accessories and everything was adaptable in most cases to other generations.

There is ONE model of iPhone and in my opinion they will not change the physical charecteristics of the first generation based on presidence.

17. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Thickness?

Hard cases had to be changed.

Anyway, I was saying you were wrong to say "Not once did a previous generation just STOP and disappear without older models still being produced." I never said that every iPod is physically very different to the previous one.

18. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

However, if you remember my first post was to the manufacture of accessories and that those accessories would still carry over to the next generation and work/fit which with that in mind would not affect manufacture concern because the products they had could still be sold.

Look at the timeline below the models. Not once did a change over occur that would just stop and not have another model or generation to cover/produce for. With the iPhone this is not possible and again, I do not in my opinion think steve would do that to manufactures of products for his products. Your right "Hard Cases had to be changed" But while they were changing for one model/generation the others were still there to be manufactured for. When the classic got thicker, there were still the original thinner ones to hold the manufactures to a business standard and profit. With the iPhone this is not possible, they would take an immediate loss on everything in stock with no notice on conversion specs for the new product to begin building a new product to allow for the overlap to cover the loss.

19. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If you stopped letting Wikipedia do all your thinking, go back and look at every iPod Classic generation. Every model varied in thickness. Shoot, just go look at the 80GB vs. 160GB model for sale now. Considering most cases are custom fit, this means there are new cases about every year.

Same thing goes with Mini-Nano. The Nano was thinner than the Mini.

As someone who tried to buy a case for my 5G iPod just after it came out, NO THE OLD CASES DIDN'T JUST WORK WITH THE NEWER MODELS. The same will be true with my Incase Slider for iPhone if the 3G model gets thicker or thinner.

20. ncsmith4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Id be willing to bet all my Apple stock that the 3G iPhone will vary in at least 1mm in any of the dimensions, making 1st generation iPhone cases (hard shell ones at least) not fit.

21. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

VERY VERY Good! However...While Belkin (for example) was retooling for one replaced generation of iPod....They were still MANUFACTURING for a different model of iPOD...God how can u all be this dense. They were also able to cover down and use the same ACCESSORIES that they made other then cases because they were all interchangeable. THERE IS ONLY ONE IPHONE, nothing interchanges or substitute for those manufactures to cover while they retool. GOD, why do people have to be so stubborn....IMO, the iPHONE will NOT Change in physical shape/size for Generation 2...I dont care what you all think!

22. ncsmith4 thread starter macrumors 6502

They can still create cases for those that still have iPhone v1. But v2 will probably change shape.

Accessories will work because they rely on the dock connector. Unless they also rely on the iPhone "shape." Most manufacturers of iPod accessories (like speakers and whatnot) will accomodate for that by having a little plastic interchangeable thing. Like these. If they dont accommodate for possible future size changes, theyre ASKING for trouble. ALL of the iPods in the past have changed shape. A millimeter here, a millimeter there.

23. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Yes, yes, yes, we get your point, however, Apple do not owe anything to the accessory manufacturers, Apple can do whatever they want. Yes the accessory companies will be annoyed, but the iPhone is such a lucrative market for them, they will just have to get over it and carry on making new stuff for every new iPhone.

24. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Finally...whew....I never said that apple owes anyone anything and I know that they can do anything they want...they do it everyday.

My whole point and it is in every post in this thread is that this is MY OPINION...no fact, nothing in stone, just an opinion using a little bit of common sense and information. If you all want to argue over an opinion then go for it. However, my opinion can neither be right or wrong anymore then the blogs that post a new sized iPhone or one that has this or that...its all conjecture based on hearsay and the same type of opinion based on other opinions.

No ONE and I repeat NO ONE knows anything that is factual about the release of iPhone Generation 2 until the day that Steve or Apple rep says what will be released. We can all sit here day in and day out debating, arguing or just plain making fools of ourselves while steve rolls on the floor laughing at all of the predictions. Only an elite few know when, where, what, why and how this new product will come to be.

So in the meantime, I will continue to state my opinion just as much as others state theirs. I will continue to use MR as my IA sessions and release my pent up waiting agressions on those that which to debate :D

25. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

There's no chance that a 3.5" iphone won't be available after the next "big update."

The iPhone sales are amazing. No one is not buying it because it's too big. There is no strategic reason to offer only a smaller screen version.

Maybe the iphone nano would work. But still, there's no chance they're shrinking the main phones screen.