3G iPhone UK?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johnsingh06, May 25, 2008.

1. johnsingh06 macrumors member

Hi

I'm selling my iphone because we all know the 3G iphone is coming out REALLY soon, but i'm just wondering... all this talk about the new iphone in America, will it by any chance hit the UK market at the same time???

I also want to unlock the 3G iphone when i do get my hands on it... the dev team can already unlock the software version 2.0 so shudn't they be able to unlock the new iphone which will ship with 2.0???

thanks everyone

john

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    :apple: Powerbook G4 AL
    :apple: iPhone
    :apple: Airport Express

2. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Hey johnsingh06,

To answer you question about the different market release times, I believe we will see Apple adopt a separation, as they did last year with the launch of the iPhone. I think Apple will firstly launch the 3G iPhone in the US probably late June, with the UK launch to come early November.

As for unlocking the 3G iPhone when it comes out, no-one can predict. Currently the Dev team can unlock the beta version of the 2.0 software for iPhone and iPod touch with the likes of 'Pwnage'. Apple may lock down 2.0 so heavily for it's final release, that it's extremely hard to unlock the handset through the software. Remember, the reason why beta versions of software are produce, is to identify security flaws and bugs within the software. By the dev team essentially showing Apple how they are managing to unlock the handset through the 2.0 software, they are shooting themselves in the foot as you can guarantee the method will be plugged by Apple for the final release.

R-Fly

3. johnsingh06 thread starter macrumors member

Really:O i hope they do release at the same time!:(

but thanks alot for your view!

john

4. mudaudio macrumors member

I think it's highly unlikely that we'll see any significant delay for the UK release.

The reason, as I understand it, that the first iPhone was released in november last year was that a deal had not been signed with o2, and therefore all the infrastructure wasn't in place to support the iPhone.

Putting that aside, we see: a) poor sales of v1 in the UK (arguably due to lack of 3G), b) iPhone currently unavailable on the apple store website and o2, and I think stores as well, and c) no good reason, logistically speaking, why there would be a delay, of anything more than a few weeks. I'm sure there are also further reasons, but it's sunday and I can't be bothered to think about then ;-)

Dare I say it: there would be more good reasons to delay the US release than the UK one. Ooouch, how dare I even suggest such a thing (and no, I don't really think the US release will come after the UK!).

5. philgilder macrumors 68000

think theyll be the same date wherever the iphone is currently available, and a few weeks to months for the rest of the world where deals have been made

6. sananda macrumors 68020

i don't see why you would think that for the same reasons mudaudio mentions.

7. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

No......just......no.

8. sjw macrumors regular

Er.. it doesn't make sense for a delay in release of the 3G iPhone, given that Apple isn't making a lot of money with there being hardly any 1st gen iPhones available and the lack of uptake in the UK due to no 3G. The sooner they release it here the better for them and I'm pretty confident it will be released at the same time as the US.

9. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

My money is on O2 offering the new phone in June.

;-)

10. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

unlocking 2.0 is still up in the air. While the dev team was able to jailbreak the first betas, Apple made drastic changes on the 4th beta, and all subsequent versions have not been jailbroken. The change from img2 to img3 seems to have thwarted the dev teams efforts. There has been no word from them to indicate they have jb'd any 2.0 beta beyond the 3rd, and unless they have become extremely adept at keeping secrets, I wouldn't expect an unlocking/jailbreaking method to be released for some time after the official 2.0 is released.

11. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

argreed, no reason what so ever for the phone not to be released everywhere at the same time.

12. ripkord macrumors 6502

13. bmh16 macrumors regular

Opposite of what i heard, i heard even the newest version has been unlocked. Not saying you're wrong, because what i've heard might be wrong!

Also, there is a chance, isn't there?, that the iPhone may be available unlocked here in the UK legally which i really do hope they will do, as the handset along with the contract is offered at an absurd price, that only the "Apple fan boys", or the people with a lot of money can afford! I certainly can't as a student!

Ben

14. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

According to Zibri's blog (http://www.ziphone.org/) 5A258f has been unlocked/activated/jailbroken

correct me if i'm wrong, but that means all but the last beta (5A292g) have been cracked...

15. johnsingh06 thread starter macrumors member

i'm starting to worry abit now... apple must be getting well pissed about people unlocking there iphones, i THINK someone said apple were going to change there security thing from "8900" files to IMG3(dont know what that means but it must be bad!) aswell as a new version of itunes and mobile framework for iphone to be forthcoming. i'm starting to wonder should i just stick to my current iphone or will the unlocked perhaps come alil later?
    I really want the new one though and im prepared to wait its just i don't want phone that cant be used this year or maybe the next?

john

16. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Probably handled the same way as it was for those who upgraded to the 16 GB iPhone - pull the sim from the old iPhone, put it in the new iPhone, and activate through iTunes by giving your existing number.

17. bmh16 macrumors regular

What I'm thinking is that if they do this they will lose a lot of sales as many people only want the iPhone on payg or not on the official iPhone contract. They won't do this unless they're very rash and foolish because I certainly won't buy one if they change it so that the firmware is very hard to hack and for a long time.

18. nick9191 macrumors 68040

No they wouldn't do that, as said it didn't come till November because Apple hadn't signed the deal. They would not stop selling iPhones for 6 months.

19. ripkord macrumors 6502

so just one contract (and pay for the phone)

thats no bad really ....