Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peterjeter26

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
do you think apple will let existing iphone users upgrade to the next model for a small fee? not doing this will leave many existing owners angry because they spent 400 or 500 for a phone that is outdated within a year. apple better do this. does anyone have any experience with apples upgrading policies?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Not in a million years.

EDIT: They don't even do upgrade pricing for iWork and iLife, so there is no way they might do it for hardware.

peterjeter26

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
i do have a lot of experiance with apple and they do have upgrades on their software logic,and final cut. apple just wouldnt do that to over 5 million customers. Remember when apple lowered the price, their was 1 million users and people went crazy. Now imagine if they completely upgraded it. I guarantee that it will be 200 - 300 to upgrade and probably 400- 500 to by it new. probably make you extend your contract with at&t though

djbahdow01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Northeast, CT
Now imagine if they completely upgraded it. I guarantee that it will be 200 - 300 to upgrade and probably 400- 500 to by it new. probably make you extend your contract with at&t though

Only if you turned in your old iPhone. They wouldn't make any money off of the 200-300 to upgrade. Still i don't see it happening.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
i do have a lot of experiance with apple and they do have upgrades on their software logic,and final cut. apple just wouldnt do that to over 5 million customers. Remember when apple lowered the price, their was 1 million users and people went crazy. Now imagine if they completely upgraded it. I guarantee that it will be 200 - 300 to upgrade and probably 400- 500 to by it new. probably make you extend your contract with at&t though

That's because they lowered their price only a couple of months after the initial release.

If you're somehow trying to imply that this is the same as Apple updating the product after a YEAR on the market, I think you're in for a rude awakening.

toddngina

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2008
C'mon, even those of us that bought the iPhone the first week it was available knew that there was most likely a 3G model not too far down the road. But, we bought it anyway. Enjoy what you have, upgrade if you feel the need, sell the leftovers on Ebay or Craigslist. Think I'm going to hold out for the 2009 model, you know, the 3G one with built-in GPS with 64GB. ;)

mondesi43

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2007
Nerd tax for the people with disposable incomes. I paid it on my TVs. They didn't give me aprice break when they dropped $500 9 months later. Why should the iPhone be different?

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
This is such a whiny ass argument. You bought what you bought and if the price goes down or it changes, your under no obligation to get a free upgrade. I cant imagine why anyone would think otherwise. If you buy a car and they come out with a better one, you do insist on getting a new car because it has been upgraded? People just need to quit their bitching.

specops

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
do you think apple will let existing iphone users upgrade to the next model for a small fee? not doing this will leave many existing owners angry because they spent 400 or 500 for a phone that is outdated within a year. apple better do this. does anyone have any experience with apples upgrading policies?

LOL thanks for the good laugh, you dont know apple or tech standards very well do you?

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Of course I would like to do this but I don't see it happening.

I wouldn't mind paying full price for a 3G iPhone but it has to have at least be 32GB or I will pass. EDGE +Wifi are enough for me but I would like to have more storage so I could stop carrying my iPod.

gvegastiger

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2007
I like how people complain about the storage space on a phone. Its a phone people, love it for what it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.