3G iPhone Vs Nokia N96

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by animenick65, Jun 30, 2008.

1. animenick65 macrumors 6502

Was doing some research on what phone I want to get and the upcoming nokia n96 caught my attention. What do all of you think of the iPhone compared to the n96? On paper it sounds like it beats the iPhone hands down. Then there is the fact the iPhone is just brag worthy. What are your opinions?

2. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

i hate to say it, but there are more than a few phones that beat the iPhone hardware wise

but a phone is only as good as the software you have on it. and as of right now (I know, I know, android looks great. but it isnt out yet I don't think) there is no software that even comes CLOSE to beating the iPhone. People don't realize how much power the iPhone really has. Its capable of so much more than any other phone. And plus, everything just works, and very easily, with a great interface. Like steve jobs said, a large percent (I don't remember what) of iPhone users use 10 or more features of their phone. Most people dont even know how to operate 10 features on their phones. Throw in the app store, which is gonna be simply amazing, and the iPhone SMOKES the N96

I guarantee you that you will be much happier with an iPhone

3. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

wow. that n96 looks awesome lol.
    but, iPhone is an iPhone, try beating it.
    lol.

N96 certainly has alot of features (more then an iPhone), but i have a couple of friends who have n95 and they are really paranoid about the sliding motion, apparently it breaks really easily

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Supposedly, it's another "iPhone killer" whatever that means. The thang is priced at $999.00 for the 16GB and it's not even available yet. It looks like a remake of the N95, N82 and N81 all rolled into one. On paper, it could probably walk on water. At $999.00 the N96 is in a class all its own: unaffordable! What's with the slide action? Can the battery last longer than the 2 hour N95? The slide action and the flip action are so "10 years ago!" Makes my stomach turn...:eek:

5. animenick65 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm obviously leaning towards the iPhone. It just looks sexy, and when it comes to a device you have to carry around anytime your out of the house, that matters quite a bit. And as with everything mac (and as a previous poster noted) it just works.

6. animenick65 thread starter macrumors 6502

The HTC Diamond looks pretty damn good too. Tough choices!!

7. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Best answer couldn't have said it any better

8. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

I have never understood this. Why people are saying this phone or that phone beat the iphone hardware wise? In the camera department, yes other than that? Micro SD slot, yes. That is it as far as I can tell.

The Nokia N96 has a much slower processor. Half as fast. The old Iphone had a processor clocked at 620mhz. The 3g iphone has the same processor as the last one, but we don't know what it is clocked at. The processor on the old iphone as well as the new 3g iphone is capable of speeds in excess of 700mhz.

The iphone has a better screen, last time I checked, glass was better than plastic and 3.5 was better than 2.8.

Those two mentioned are two of the biggest hardware specs you will find on any phone. Possibly the most important. Build quality. Apple. No contest. That is a hardware spec is it not? Very important is it not?

Now AD2P is important to some, but I don't think that the 3g iphone can't support it, just doesn't have the software support. If that is the case, it can be added via firmware upgrade or 3rd party app.

Camera is important, but the specs I mentioned above are more important than a camera in my option.

Copy and paste is software and can be added easily.

Anything else I am missing?:confused:

9. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

No one is going to lie here. Many phones beat the iPhone in features. But the N96 is ugly looking as anything. With the iPhone, you know you are getting a sturdy phone, a beautiful phone and a beautifully designed UI. The appstore is a huge selling point for the iPhone now too. Go with what you like.

10. jmadlena Guest

Just watched a video on the N96. Feature list looks good, but, once again, features don't matter if they aren't intuitive to use. At least not to most of the public.

Another thought occurred to me while I was watching the video... why can't all of the 'iPhone Killers' get away from the metal rounded rim, solid black front, and oblong speaker hole? I know that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but Apple couldn't BE any more flattered.

Design something we like that doesn't look like an overweight iPhone. If you do, at least admit that the iPhone got your engineers off of their butts!

11. davefbop macrumors newbie

davefbop

Wow $1000 for a phone? Hell, I can buy an Iphone AND a cheap laptop for that price lol. If it can clone myself and go to work for me, well that would be another story.

12. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Hmm, much rather have an iPhone. N96 has no touchscreen, crappy plastic hardware keyboard and its the size of a brick.

13. Libitina macrumors 6502

Libitina

I heard it was due this week but can't even find a price for it. Does look like a cheaper version of an iphone though, albeit one with a better camera.

14. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I had a N95 before my 3G iPhone and the battery life was very similar for both phones. :p

Though the N95 has more features on paper and the N96 even more, the only two things I have missed since I've had the iPhone is forwarding received text messages and the quality of the camera.

The iPhone UI is just so much easier to use that I would hate to go back to the Nokia, even though they are really good phones.

15. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

why is this thread so long with reasons? it can be finished with this next line:

the N96 has a keyboard...

16. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Sorry not sure whether that was supposed to be a good or bad thing?

17. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

lol in my opinion, a bad thing. Right now, i would probably only by touch screen phones (well that have GOOD touch screens) then a plastic keyboard now. I've used symbian more then any other platform, i don't think it comes close to what the iphone can do. We'll see what they pull off with the Nokia Tube thats coming.

18. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

The N96's battery life is exactly as awful as the one of its predecessor.

19. Iceduck macrumors member

This discussion is lacking any real substance. The difference between these two phones is that iPhone OS is the next big leap in mobile software, and S60v3 (which the Nokia runs on top of Symbian) is of the past. There is simply no comparison in terms of UI and potential for third-party apps. I come from an N82 with the latest version of S60, and you can't seriously compare these phones. If I wanted something other than an iPhone, I'd wait three-four months and see what Nokia and other manufacturers come up with. The next big release of S60 should have some iPhone-like functionality. S60 as we know it is dead.

20. billandy macrumors regular

HTC DIAMOND RUNS ON WINDOWS MOBILE. NO MATTER HOW GORGEOUS IT LOOKS IN THE AD, UNDERNEATH IT IS A CRAPPY WINDOWS MOBILE THAT COMES WITH A "TASK MANAGER"... AND A LOT MORE INTERESTING STUFF LIKE SUCH...