3G iPhone with 3.1.3: How well does OS4.1 work?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ovenall, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Ovenall macrumors member

I recently got a brand new 3G iPhone from the Apple Store after my old 3G stopped working. Like many others, I had "upgraded" to 4.0 and had horrible slowdowns. Luckily, something went wrong with the phone a week or so later, and I got it replaced under Apple Care with a phone running 3.1.3

Everything was fine for a while. Now I'm having weird issues that even Apple Care tech support is getting stumped by. Not really worth going into here, though.

My question is, how well does 4.1 really work on a 3G? I want to do a restore on the phone to maybe fix some of its problems but don't want to have a slow phone like I had under 4.0. Tech support claims 4.1 is fine for the 3G, but I'm suspicious.

Anyone care to share opinions on how well 4.1 works on a 3G? Should I "upgrade" again? Thanks.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

3. LRUmansky macrumors member

4.1 runs a lot faster than 4.0, but there are still some slowdowns compared to system 3. I personally don't see too much functionality upgrade for 4.1 compared to 3, though 4.1 is a little nicer looking.

4. metalboy4 macrumors newbie

My wife has 3G as well do I, Hers was on 4.0 and was awful and has been downgraded to 3.1.3 mine is 4.1. Personally, I think 4.1 is way better than 4.0 and about the same as 3.1.3. I currently trying to get hers to update to 4.1. All of that said do I think it is where it should be no, it is still slow. I think Apple should make a version that improves performance much more. But, 4.1 is usable and is an upgrade from 4.0 for sure.

5. shmeaty macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

It still is slow. Just stick with 3.1.3, cuz it's the same thing as 4.1 for the 3G, just not laggy. All the cool features aren't usable for the 3G.

6. Ovenall thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to stick with 3.0 until I upgrade to a new phone.

Biggest problems for me with 4.0 on the 3G was the delay on typing and Safari constantly crashing and hanging up. Again, thanks all.