3G iPhone with "Horizontal Keyboard"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Katin, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Katin macrumors regular

Does anyone know if this feature was mentioned or any hard rumors going out there about this feature? Horizontal Keyboard while Texting or Adding notes?

Thanking you all in advance.

2. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Would've been a nice touch, but nah I haven't heard any mentions of it. Could be a late surprise.

3. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Well, the firmware that the 3G iPhone has right now is not released to developers.

So it's possible.

4. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

for me it doesnt leave enough space for me to read what I have typed. I like more than just one line.

5. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

That's got to be the issue. I doubt we'll see a horiz keyboard in 2.0

6. Fontenette Yo! macrumors regular

Fontenette Yo!

I would like to see this but I doubt I would use it as I have gotten used to typing vertically.

7. LoganT macrumors 68020

I don't know why everyone loves the horizontal keyboard so much. Yes on paper it does sound like it's better for people with big fingers. But I find that with the auto-correct feature on the vertical keyboard it's tons easier to type on. IMO the keyboard in the horizontal keyboard is harder to type on because the letters are spaced more apart. That could be the reason why it's only available in Safari.

8. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I think most just want the option to type horizontally.

9. LoganT macrumors 68020

I agree. However maybe Apple wants you not to use the horizontal keyboard. I know they have no right to do that. But I was just like most people in the beginning and thought I would only be able to type on the horizontal keyboard. I eventually had to start typing on the vertical keyboard, and after a few weeks I at least found it so much easier to use. I'm not trying to make excuses for Apple, but that could be it.

10. Lau Guest

It could well have something to do with that in Safari, the words you are typing are more likely to be words that auto correct doesn't recognise, like passwords, URLs, addresses and so on. So although the auto-correct works well for normal typing (in Mail and Notes), it's really only in Safari that you need the horizontal keyboard for inputting non-dictionary words.

Like a lot of posters here, I've got used to the vertical keyboard now and would rather have the extra screen space to see what I've typed. The only time I really struggle with the auto-correct is for passwords and that sort of thing.

11. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

But stiil I`d love to have the option. But what I`d really love is universal rotation support throught the iPhone OS and all the Apps. I really hate it when I m using safari in horizontal mode and have to rotate every time I get out of safari. Even if all I wanted to do is increase the screen brightness a bit.

12. drpellypo macrumors 6502

I doubt very much it will happen because in doing so, Apple will be stating that there are issues with the keyboard being vertical, which they've made a point of stating there are not.

13. sdp macrumors member

14. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

sure, it could, but it won't help you if you want a horizontal keyboard layout in mail, or notes, or sms, or etc. what good would an app be if it were just a horizontal keyboard? note that 3rd party apps won't add any features to existing apps, since it can't run in the background.

i personally never really liked the horizontal keyboard, as the keys were too far apart. still, i guess there are a lot of people wanting the feature, and choice is (almost) never a bad thing.

15. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

I think it's stupid that apple has it only in Safari...

It would be very handy in mail... Yeah I know people say "There is very little reading space in the Horizontal mode" But it is sooo much easier to type.