3g iPhone without data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wolfattack, Jul 30, 2008.

1. wolfattack macrumors member

Sorry if this has already been asked, but i couldn't find it by searching.

I decide that I am going to jump onto the iphone bandwagon and buy a 3g iphone. I know it is silly, but is it possible to get a 3g iphone without a data plan?

I just moved to Los Angeles to go to college, and everyone at my work chipped in and bought me a 200 dollar apple gift certificate to buy an iphone. Well, i am already in a fairly new at&t contract, meaning with their 200 dollar gift card, it will still cost me 200 more (399.99 for at&t customers who are not available for an upgrade).

Anyway, LA seems to have so many wifi spots that i think i will be fine with just using wifi instead of edge or 3g. Will i be able to do this or will apple force me to sign up for a data plan? I read that for the first gen iphone, you didn't have to get a data plan, hopefully it is the same.

thanks!!!

josh

2. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

3. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

You searched and didn't find anything? That's weird, there's been several threads on the issue (not to be pissy or anything, just sayin').
    Short answer, a couple people have said they've managed to drop it after initially signing up for it, a couple people say it depends on which rep you talk to. YMMV.

4. oclor macrumors regular

You should be eligible for a discount since you are a student. Go here:

https://www.wireless.att.com/business/authenticate/

You can get a discount (%12 I think) on your monthly bill and I think there is a discount on the data plan too (not sure though).

5. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

That's correct, edu. discounts apply to voice and data.

6. wolfattack thread starter macrumors member

awesome, i wonder if i can just apply this to my current plan that is under my parents name (but i am a co-signer or whatever they call it) or if it needs to be totally under my name, i guess i will have to call and ask. thanks everyone.