Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
I know there was talk about the 3G iPhone's screen when it came out being having a slight yellow tint.

I bought an iPhone during the first week and just took it out to use it for the first time (just got a Universal sim to unlock it!).

I'm coming from a 1G iPhone and the screen definitely has a yellow tint. Was there a fix for it? Thanks

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
I know there was talk about the 3G iPhone's screen when it came out being having a slight yellow tint.

I bought an iPhone during the first week and just took it out to use it for the first time (just got a Universal sim to unlock it!).

I'm coming from a 1G iPhone and the screen definitely has a yellow tint. Was there a fix for it? Thanks
A good fix would be to see a therapist for the OCD.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
the yellow tint is supposed to be better on your eyes or something like that vs the old bluer tint they had.

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
I can't post a screen shot right now; however, it looks the same as the pics floating around from before when this topic was first introduced.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
its normal. The new iphones screen is calibrated to have a "warmer" color temp.

(im not sure what that means in the nitty gritty, but i know thats how its supposed to be.)

trunksu

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
i personally can't see it on my phone but maybe i'm so used to it. :p my understanding was they made it yellow on purpose like others have said. i seriously can't see it right now though.

if you're worried if it might be hardware, take a screenshot to see if it's hardware doing it or OS.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
its normal. The new iphones screen is calibrated to have a "warmer" color temp.

(im not sure what that means in the nitty gritty, but i know thats how its supposed to be.)
Just to add some detail for the OP. :)

Update: We just spoke with Bob Borchers, senior director of product marketing for the iPhone, and he had some very interesting info regarding the "yellow screen" phenomenon we've been hearing about. According to Bob (and Apple), the screen's color temperature has been purposely altered on the new iPhone to produce warmer, more natural tones, sharper images, and deeper blacks. The company says that 1st gen iPhone screens appeared colder and less defined, and they made some adjustments for the new models. In our opinion, what he says is right on -- the screens do look better on the iPhone 3G versus the older variety. What do you guys think?
http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/12/iphone-3g-and-firmware-2-0-the-day-after/

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Aristobrat-

I found that too- I was just wondering if something came out later than that to suggest that the Apple spokesperson was wrong.

Other than that, thanks for everyone's input. I have set my brightness on the low side and based on what I've heard, if I just put it up a bit it will be better.

Thanks

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
It's closer to 6500ºK which is close to mid day natural sunlight color. Most people are so use to watching overly blue (cooler higher temperature of up to 8000ºK) and sitting under florescent lights that they incorrectly see 6500º˚ as yellow.

Make sure to adjust your TV to the "warmer" or "lower" color setting and spend a little time getting use to it. It is much more natural and correct.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.