3g iphones on craigslist

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by heatguts58, Aug 20, 2008.

1. heatguts58 macrumors member

looking for iphones on craigslist and i notice they have 3g iphones, dont you have to go through the apple store in order to get them? and not only that, a lot list them as unopened and/or can be jailbroken. are they lieing?

2. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Not necessarily. They may have used their upgrade to buy subsidized, and decided to sell instead of using it. And the 3G can be jailbroken, so there are definitely such iPhones for sale.

Also, there are some people who are buying (as new AT&T customers), waiting and paying the first month's bill, and then canceling the contract, which means they can pay the ETF and keep the phone.

There are a lot of ways for people to have 3Gs for sale, but it's going to cost more than just walking into an AT&T or Apple Store.

3. heatguts58 thread starter macrumors member

3g iphones are already jailbroken? hmm didnt know that.

4. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Yep, but they can't be unlocked yet.

5. heatguts58 thread starter macrumors member

well i am actually an at&t customer and want the new 3g iphone, or 2g. but in order to do that i have to buy it unlocked right? the reason for that is because i want to stay on my family plan.

and if i cant go that route, im hearing that i cant get an iphone for the subsidized price of 200 and will have to pay 400. can anyone confirm this?

6. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

you can get the phone for $200 if you are eligible to upgrade, this is just resigning your contract for 2yrs. If you do this att or apple will add on the $30 data plan.
    The $400 is for early upgrades, which still reisgns your contract, but its still a discount off the full retail price of $600 which hasnt been sold by att as of yet(they say they will at some point).
    http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/specials/iphone-info.jsp#0faqSection1