3G iPod battery replacement help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by psychofreak, Jul 3, 2007.

1. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

DAMN! I left this too late. I'm going away for a month (leaving on the morning of the 11th of July). I should have ordered a new battery for my 3G iPod (only two hours playtime) but I forgot, hoping for an iPod update.

I am in Hammersmith, and if anyone could recommend a shop that I could buy a battery replacement from, I would be insanely grateful. Unfortunately its too late to order online :(

Hopefully this is in the right forum...

Thanks in advance :)

P.S:This could be OK, but £8 is a bit much for express shipping (to be safe)...I'll order soon, if no one can recommend a brick and mortar store...

NOW: I now have the battery, but am struggling to open my iPod...please read later posts...

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

3. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

Thanks, I know Google is my friend, but my heart started racing as I got home, realising I need an iPod!

4. dcv macrumors G3

5. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

I haven't tried anywhere, would you recommend Cancom (i.e. have you bought stuff there) ?

6. dcv macrumors G3

Yes I've bought plenty from there in the past - iMac, iPod, hard drives, accessories. They're an Premium Apple reseller and an authorised repair centre, so I'd be surprised if they didn't have the battery you're after. The only thing I don't recommend is their stupid policy of only being able to book in stuff for repair on a weekday not a weekend... not particularly helpful when you have a job and they close at 6pm :rolleyes:

details here, give em a call! Usually if they don't have something in-stock in the shop they'll order it in for the next day if they can.

7. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

You can get them in Micro Anvika on Tottenham Court Road, I bought one just two weeks back. I'm sure it's not the best price you can find but if time is short you can just pick one up and pop it in yourself in about 10mins max.

8. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

I just called Cancom, and they told me they have it in stock for £20...its much closer than Micro Anvica (I'll even save the train fare) and the Micro Anvica site has it listed for £19.99 :)

Thank you all...I was worried I had left it too late and this was something so particular that it was online-only...

9. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

Argh! So I bought it from Cancom...and thought it would be easy.

I moved the tool all round the iPod, but cannot for the life of me open the case. Maybe its because I have bitten nails (I know, horrible habit), but I really do not want to pay the £25 charge to get it done.

Am I doing something wrong? Or do I just need nails?

Any recommendations (different tools etc.) would be welcome :)

10. dcv macrumors G3

Glad you got the part :) sorry don't know about fitting it though!

Did the shop look nice btw? I think they've had a re-fit or something as I got a card in the post recently about them "launching" in Kensington but they've been in that location for years. I just haven't been in for a while.

11. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

Yes its nice, but oddly they kinda had a Mac Pro going a bit to waste: they had one in the corner with two displays (30" and 23") about a foot away from each other, mirroring.

The resolution was set to the 23" display's, so the 30" looked blurry. It was running badly because they had Parallels running XP, with only 1GB RAM in the machine...in fact, all the machines had Parallels running, and I hope people don't think that OSX is just naturally slow...

PLEASE HELP: I really can't open this thing...maybe I'm not pushing hard enough?

The video said to push the iPod until I can fit the tool inside, but around the interweb people have been saying "push until you hear a click"..do I need to push harder than is necessary to get the tool in? Again, its quite expensive to have this done (£25 for an apparently 10 minute procedure)

12. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

Update: OK, so I went in, and the guy kindly did it for free after I explained my problem.

Now the iPod is constantly on 'Hold'...great!

Update 2: I went into the store, and after a little convincing and 10 minutes work, the Hold switch worked!

Excited as I was, I walked to the bus stop, and started to play my music. AC/DC just didn't sound right (kind of a twang), then I played some of The Killers, and it was completely mangled. I thought that maybe there was something wrong with my disk, and I would do a restore. In some songs, the music could be heard, but there were no lyrics.

Walking around, it seemed as though the sound changed, so I fiddled with the connector between my Shure E2Cs and the iPod. Sure enough, the sound was normal when the headphones were pushed in.

I got off the bus, and walked back to the store. I told the guy my problem, and he told me that of course iPods don't work properly with non-Apple headphones. He asked me if I was sure when I said that they worked before, but he said there was nothing that could be done.

I asked for the manager, and then the guy said my iPod could be fixed. It took around 20 minutes, but now all seems well :)

One more thing(9/7/07): I just realised that they have put a 20GB back cover (scratched, not new) on my 15GB iPod...so the serial number shown is wrong...