Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hellosunshine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
I have a 3G iPod that is set for Windows computers. I recently got a Macbook and am wondering if the iPod will work on the MacBook (ie if I can transfer songs to the iPod from the Mac if it is supposedly formatted for a Windows computer). Will this work or will I have to get a new iPod? eek.

ExileinBlonde

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2006
hellosunshine said:
I have a 3G iPod that is set for Windows computers. I recently got a Macbook and am wondering if the iPod will work on the MacBook (ie if I can transfer songs to the iPod from the Mac if it is supposedly formatted for a Windows computer). Will this work or will I have to get a new iPod? eek.
You don't need a new iPod, but you are going to have to restore it, which means the hard drive will be wiped clean. You can convert it for a Mac by using the iPod for Mac Software Updater on the Apple website. However, once the iPod is reformatted, it will only work with Macs. You need Mac OS 9.2 or Mac OS X 10.1 or later to reformat an iPod for Windows into an iPod for Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.