3G iPod sprouting On-The-Go Playlists?!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by peanutismint, Aug 16, 2007.

1. peanutismint macrumors 6502

peanutismint

My iPod 3G is reproducing. It seems like every time I plug it into the dock to either charge or transfer music, it grows a new 'On-The-Go' playlist. It keeps my previous OTG playlist, but then to the iPod, that's just a regular playlist named 'On The Go', so queued songs load into the new playlist, which is just plain annoying. Anyone have any ideas? I do use a bunch of different 3rd-party iTunes-alternatives to transfer my music; Yamipod on Mac and Anapod on PC, if that's any indication of why this is happening?

2. glennp macrumors member

Welcome to 2003?!? :p

Auto-synching of on-the-go playlists was added back in 2003:
    "the iPod software update also includes faster browsing and accessing of large music libraries, the ability to sync On-The-Go playlists back to iTunes®..." (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/oct/16ipod.html)

If you auto-sync your iPod with iTunes, it'll copy any on-the-go playlist to your current playlists and name them sequentially ("On-The-Go 1", "On-The-Go 2", and so forth), leaving you with a blank slate for a future on-the-go playlist. The only way I know to stop this behavior is to manually sync your iPod.

3. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Hahah yeah, I'm a bit late jumping on the whole iPod bandwagon. I've been a MiniDisc fanboy all my life! Just had a 3rd Gen Pod handed down to me, so trying to make use of it! :)

Right, I'll try to manually sync my music, although I was sure that was what I was doing already, using the 3rd party apps.... ah well!

Anyway, I'm using RockBox now, and trying to get my head around that! :D

4. chaoticbear macrumors 6502

The difference between auto and manual syncing is that auto will automatically sync your iPod and library, and manual you have to choose which songs to transfer.