Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matt3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2010
Basically what the title says. According to the speed test app all of my fastest speeds both up and down were on 3G. Also my fastest speed ever is something like 3.41 mps and normally it's more like 1.5 (average) mps.

It seems like everyone is reporting much faster speeds than those on both 3G and wifi. Is my week 27 iPhone 4 defective?

Blaenk

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2009
It could just mean your internet speed isn't on par with 3G...

It's the case with mine. I have Verizon DSL and it's 3mbps down, 768kbps up, and my 3G tests are at or above that.

Wifi isn't some magical connection speed that is always faster than anything else, it's just your internet connection offered wirelessly to your home, so it's still pegged at the speed your connection is at.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
3G upload 1.24mbps download 5.7mbps best

Wifi upload 0.43mbps download 9.7mbps best

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Are you on AT&T? That's a pretty normal speed for 3G here.

As for the Wifi, do you have something else you can test it with, like a laptop? It just may be slow Wi-fi for some other reason. I have about 8 Mbps Wi-Fi at home but if you go in to a coffee shop with free Wi-fi it's usually around 1 Mbps. It really depends on the Wi-Fi more than the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.