3G is fine UNTIL I need to use it ..

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Khryz, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Khryz macrumors 6502a

This happen to anyone else?

I am glancing at my phone all day, whether listening to music or checking the time and I see AT&T .. full bars and the 3G icon.

Then, as soon as I need to fire up Safari, or an app that requires the internet - 3G goes off. The hell? Then it comes back on like a minute later.

Is this a problem with my phone or is AT&T just f***king with me?

2. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

I have noticed it as well.... The other day I was looking up a song I had heard on the Mobile iTunes... Full Strength I wasn't even moving..Then I click purchase and bamm a big E and I paused the download then the 3G was back?... I think its something ATT is doing..

3. ocrts macrumors newbie

Not your phone. This is AT&T SOP (standard operating procedure). It seems at its worst from about noon - 5pm EST weekdays. My guess is this is peak network time where it's business hours coast-to-coast.

4. co.ag.2005 macrumors 65816

co.ag.2005

that's not SOP in Denver... 3G works just fine here all day long. For example, I was on a boring conference call today for a few hours and surfed safari, iTunes, and a few apps that use quite a bit of data and had quick 3G speeds the whole time.

maybe a tower outage in your area, OP?

5. Raidel macrumors member

I say its your Phone...I carry a Bold and an iPhone around all day. The same thing happens to me on my iPhone, but when it does I turn to my bold to check it out and everything works fine. Hell even when the iPhone goes from 3G to E my bold continues to say 3G. So I would probably say its not just your phone, its just the iPhone period. But oh well, I can't give up the iPhone.

6. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

Well, 3G seems more like a mythical creature when I'm in a house or apartment on or near 285 between Santa Fe and University. It hasn't gotten any better either... I even had problems with the first gen iPhone in this area.

7. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maybe, but this is when I am in Midtown, New York City. I guess even though it should be a very important area for AT&T to cover with great service, it also has the most traffic?

8. co.ag.2005 macrumors 65816

co.ag.2005

That's good to know. I'm rarely in south Denver. I have no problems with 3G in downtown, Broomfield, Westminster, or Arvada - the places I frequent the most.

OP - sounds like your issue is likely related to the well documented AT&T shortfalls that exist in NYC.

9. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

It works fine for me, whenever I'm in need of it.

10. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

One in a while I might run into a problem with 3G service stalling but that happens with all my phones. For the most part 3G works well 24/7 for me all over NYC.

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well to explain your problem it takes knowing how cell phone works.
    You have you stand by signal which tells your phone which tower it is connected to and what its signal strength should be but when you go to use data it has to change change into that mode and the towers only have so many that can be used. Tower tells the phone that it does not have room and kicks it to another tower that might not be in range.

The build tower based on a model that only so many people will try to use it at one time. Lets say the models show during peak for every 100 people 10 are using their phones. So phone company going to put up towers and use tower assuming that. Lets say the tower can handle 100 calls/data at one time. So that means the tower will accept a total of a 1000 phones connected to it either in standby mode because it is assume at most only 100 people will be active at one time so it is safe.

Before you go on a bashing feast about the carriers the models got complete screwed up with data demands and they were not prepared for it. Voice demands are easy to predict and model for. They have decades of data to work with. Data demands not so much and only a few years of data to work with. New towers take years to put up from start to finish (design, permits and constuction) got to love the tons of red tape mostly at the city level.

12. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I'll do you one better. I have 5 bars of 3G, I go to make a call and it fails over and over and over... I can't get on the internet I can't do anything BUT I still have my full bars of 3G. Can anyone explain that?

13. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Isn't that what happens when the phone company have cut you off for not paying your bill :D

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Good one Moi un Mouton!

Actually the signal doesn't tell that much as far as getting on the internet. You can have a great signal, but if the back haul is slow, then you're going to be slow.

15. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Yes, but if phone calls won't connect either, I imagine there's something else wrong....