3G JB Advice Required

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by eenuuk, Nov 4, 2011.

1. eenuuk, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011

eenuuk macrumors regular

Guys,

I have been researching this for a while now but I have a few questions I was hoping you more experienced people can help me with. I have a 3G which I just replaced with a 4S. I figured it isn't worth much to sell it so I am just going to use it on airplane mode around the house as a net device/remote. I want to try JB it since it isn't my main device, it is on iOS 4.2.1 (8C148).

1. What is the best tool for JB the phone, there appear to be a few out there. What would you recommend?

2. What tools do you recommend for skinning it?

3. Are there any apps you would recommend for my intended use of the phone? i.e wireless sync app for iTunes, remote apps etc.

4. Are there any performance tweaks that can be made? to be honest going from iOS3 to 4 ruined the phone.

5. How easy is it to go back to iOS noe JB?

6. I see a lot of talk of base bands, I presume this is the Modem Firmware? Mine is 05.15.04 which does not appear to be supported by redsn0w....

Any help is appreciated.

2. eenuuk thread starter macrumors regular

3. noiceT macrumors 6502a

1. Redsn0w

2. (Can't help here, don't use winterboard)

3. Mobile mouse works good (not a jb app tho)

4. Downgrade to 3.1.3

5. Very easy. Just restore in itunes.

6. Baseband is only pertinent when trying to unlock. Since you're not using it as a phone anymore, it's irreverent. And redsn0w supports your phone fine, where did you read that?

My 2 cents... sell the phone. It's still racking in roughly $200 on ebay. You offset your 4s subsidized purchase right there;)

4. eenuuk, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

eenuuk thread starter macrumors regular

Well I went to the Redsn0w website and the software there said it didn't do my baseband so assumed I was screwed. Found one now for my version of iOS but it seems to support every device apart from the 3G.

For downgrading, how do I go about this? I tried at the time of iOS4 upgrade but it didn't seem to work.

As for selling it, my 4S was £699 and I could only sell it for 80-100 on ebay. I don't have the box etc where I am and it would cost more in fuel to drive to get them :(

Not a lot of responses with help here....

5. eenuuk thread starter macrumors regular

So can anyone else help me with the Redsn0w questions?

6. eenuuk thread starter macrumors regular

No one? Come one guys I need some help on this one.....

7. Bl0ckHe1d macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d

Have you tried the iClarified website - try looking at this:
    http://www.iclarified.com/jailbreak/

Assuming that you using the iPhone 3G with iOS3.1.3 and your computer is running on Windows. Then the version of redsn0w you would use is 0.9.2

Hope this helps

8. Bl0ckHe1d macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d