3G LCD Replacement gone wrong...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by enklined, Apr 13, 2010.

1. enklined macrumors 6502

Long story short, LCD screen was broken (all white). Bought a new screen from eBay.

During the repair process, I accidentally pulled cable #3 out without first "unlatching" it. Didnt think much of it, nothing broke off or anything. Reassembled with the new screen, and nothing. No white screen, nothing. Phone turns on (makes sounds when plugged in, etc), but absolutely no display.

Did the removal of cable #3 without unlatching it first cause this? Is this fixable, or is it time to scrap the phone and sit tight until June/July for the next release?

2. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

#3 has nothing to do with the LCD. unfortunately you might have got a bad part off ebay. everyone thinks they are getting such deals on ebay for iphone parts when in reality most of them are not real iphone parts and usually dont work. I would try to find a local repair shop in your neck of the woods. you should be able to get a new apple lcd installed for $100. or you can send it back to apple and hope they let you take advantage of the out of warranty repair for $199. but I would not scrap the phone. you might also try to reboot the phone completely by holding the power button and the home button until it shuts off (past the red slider that you cant see anyway!) and see if it restarts. sometimes this works.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

$79 here (assuming you didn't damage anything else inside).

You pay for shipping too, so if you find someplace local, go for it. But if not, I used iresq and they did good job.

4. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

find someone local first that has a shop not a house

5. enklined thread starter macrumors 6502

The new screen isnt the problem. I plugged the old screen back in and nothing (ie, it should just be an all white LCD like it was before).

I read somewhere that in proper removal of cable 3 could damage the logic board, and am wondering if thats what happened in this case.

I have a friend who is willing to sell me her 16g 3G for $100 with a cracked screen (the glass, not the LCD). Thinking of doing that, then just swapping out the glass from my screen with hers (and hoping I dont break the new phone, too, haha).

6. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

I dont believe everything I read do you? as I stated above #3 HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR LCD. you may have damage to your mother board but cant tell you cause I have not seen it. it is real easy to damage the #3 connector especially if you have no idea what you are doing and try to save a buck! the #3 controls the proximity sensor, and the ear speaker. make sure the lcd is plugged in correctly it is sometimes tricky to do. also, if you open the screen back up or raise it up just a little it will come unplugged again real easy and this may also be your problem. $100 for your friends 3g 16gig is a steal but dont try to fix this one yourself. get a pro to do it. and as the other guy stated do not use a guy in his house. find an actual repair busiess and make sure they install an actual Apple LCD. not some knockoff from ebay. if you are still wanting to try to fix this yourself go to www.ifixit.com and look at their take apart guides. they are pretty good. you can also buy parts from them. I know who they buy from and they get good parts. make sure the lcd is plugged in correctly and then after you put it back togeither reboot the phone completely by holding the power button and the home button down until you see the apple logo

7. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

#3 has nothing to do like chargeit says check your #1 connector....also make sure your phone is powered off too if you cant tell remove the motherboard so it shuts off and then slowly connect everything again

8. iFixYouri macrumors member

Sometimes if you open up the iphone without turning it off first and disconnect everything, the LCD won't get power when you plug the new one back in. You'll need to completely disconnect the board from the battery, so there's no connection between the two, put it back together, and it should display. If that doesn't work, you may have shorted something on the board. Are you using metal tools when connection and disconnecting connectors? If so i highly advise to use plastic tools, a static mat, and a wrist strap to ground.

9. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

that is exactly what i said.....

10. enklined thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh snap, that's probably the issue! Ok, I'll try this tonight!

And yes, I KNOW #3 has NOTHING to do with the LCD, but figured I may have f'd up the board or something by removing it improperly.

And, FYI, I picked up my friends iPhone and have successfully transferred my screen (which has the new LCD attached to it) to this iPhone and it's working flawlessly.

11. enklined thread starter macrumors 6502

Reporting back. Unplugging the remaining cables from the logic board (4 - 6) and replugging them back in, then plugging in 3, 2, and 1 caused the display to work again!

Thanks much!