3G Macbook on Annual Subscription?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by a456, Jul 24, 2008.

1. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

Apple recently said that it was going to make a product transition which would dent immediate income - could this be that they offer laptops at subsidised prices, like the iPhone (and other laptop makes), with attached 3G contracts. Maybe tie the contracts for iPhone and laptops together (Apple style tethering:)) in bundles?

2. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

3. macwh0re macrumors member

I thought the exact same thing when I heard the news. Its certainly possible. Think about AT&T and when they said their shares were going to drop in 2008-2009 because they are subsidizing the iPhone. Apple could be doing the same thing. Apple getting a $300 commission check from AT&T when people sign up on their unlimited data plan. Makes a lot of sense. Hence when they said they were transitioning a new product, with new technologies and features that competitors can't match, with price being a big factor. It could easily be updated Macbook & Macbook Pro's. Sign up with AT&T and get $300 off. Sounds good to me :)

4. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Well, maybe they will add 3G as a hardware option when you are buying...

The probably won't though for one reason:

It would KILL AT&T. Absolutely demolish their bandwidth. If you thought it was bad with all the new 3Gs, imagine if it was all new 3G computers!

Just my 2cents.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Not really; AT&T laptop 3G is capped at 6GB per month and it costs $60 a month.

Also I doubt Apple would do such a thing.

6. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

Blueray superdrives at below cost per unit prices????? :D

7. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

it would be totally sick if apple created a bluray/hddvd player combo. i would love that. but since microsoft supports hddvd apple will go bluray.

8. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

I see that you're joking.

9. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

OK, I see. I thought it was unlimited data. :cool:

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No it's advertised as 6GB cap, but I talked to a tech and they said it's really unlimited--they have the 6GB cap so people don't sue or something if they cut you off for using too much data.

I only used 600MB of data last month anyways; it's difficult to get 6GB of bandwidth unless you're downloading movies and stuff which you shouldn't be doing on a cellular connection anyways.

11. illidian macrumors 6502

Why don't you just go to your cell phone service provider?

Apple and AT&T are very separate companies.