3G Microcell

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AFPoster, Dec 12, 2010.

1. AFPoster macrumors 65816

So I've had my iPhone 4 since Sept and I have had to replace my SIM card 2x and my phone and I still have no bars everywhere I go. It's not Apple their product works great it's just AT&T is horrible. I live in a booming city with AT&T stores everywhere and when I walk in all of their phones have full bars, my wife's iPhone 4 even has full bars but for me I never get bars. I walk into stores next to Apple stores and the AT&T stores and nothing.
    AT&T told me to get the 3G Microcell and I responded "So because your service sucks horribly for everyone you want to charge us even more for this device to give me bars in my home (which again wife, brother, family all have full bars) because my phone can't? It seems AT&T should be giving these things away since they know their service sucks horribly thus the reason for creating this device.

I'd write AT&T but I for some reason can't find their e-mail address so tomorrow I will call.

Thoughts?

2. CT1stMaxedOut09 macrumors member

Good luck with that one... I complained to them so much and it got me no where... The closes I got was them talking to a store and saying if the store had one to work something out with them but the store didn't have any and the said they wouldnt give it away to me for free anyways....

3. WRIGHTRACING macrumors regular

If all the phones at the store have signal, but yours don't...Sounds like your phone is junk.

4. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Sorry, I just see this is a trade-off for owning an iPhone. If I wanted great service I'd move to Verizon and get one of their Android phones. I don't want an Android phone so I'm stuck with AT&T. You should have just returned it within the month if you hated it that badly. Here's my kickass service btw, I'm getting a full bar and supposed 3G service. And no, I wasn't choking it. I set it down on the table to test.

Attached Files:

5. iTiki macrumors 6502

Somewhat unrelated to the O.P.s post, but I have a microcell at home and it works awsome. For some reason my phone was useless indoors, but with the microcell I get 4 to 5 bars anywhere in the house. I got the microcell almost for free after the rebate and was able to get rid of my landline saving me even more. For those having in house reception problems, the microcell is a good solution.

6. jhoc macrumors newbie

For those in the USA anyway. Us O2 users in the UK struggle with the same issues you find with ATT and we have no microcell options.

Has anyone mod'd the vodaphone microcell or used a third party one with success over the o2 network?

7. neil1980 macrumors 6502

I switched from O2 to Voda basically for this and I love it. Was a bit fiddly to set up at first (due to pretty much 0 instructions) but it works well.

I can see peoples point about you shouldn't have to pay and they should improve the service but at home no provider really does a great job so its the best of a bad bunch really.

8. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

We bitched enough and got a microcell for free. I'm glad we didn't pay for it, because it is not worth the money imo.

Oh sure I routinely have 4 to 5 full bars, but that means nothing. Data speeds are SLOW, they are capped to be exact. The thing is constantly needing to be reset, and MMS is so slow it's ridiculous. IF it even sends and doesn't time out that is.

9. iTiki macrumors 6502

I let wifi handle my data. There is an option on set-up that allows you to choose how your data is handled. I think I have had to reboot my microcell once. Simple unplug and replug. Not a big deal. Not having the microcell would mean i would have to go outside and stand in the street to use my cell phone and pay for a landline again if I want a phone in the house. I di agree the microcell should be free to those with indoe recptiom issues.

10. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I bitched enough and got a free MicroCell and I love it, minus the fact that data speeds are capped through the stupid thing.

OP, it's clearly your iPhone that is junk...if all the people around you are getting signal and you aren't I don't know how you can't realize it's your phone. Take it to an Apple store and have it swapped out.

11. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Where do you see a setting to have your data go through wifi? Doesn't it just go through wifi if your wifi is on??

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Maybe your internet connection sucks or your Microcell is defective, because I got one back in May or sometime around then and haven't had to touch it since. Data speeds are fine, no problems with MMS, etc.

13. iTiki macrumors 6502

Somewhere there is an option to let data go thru the microcell or thru your regular wifi connection. I think I read on the AT&T microcell forum that it is better to let your regular wifi conection handle the data and that is what I did. Sorry, I can't find where that option is now, but I think it was in the set-up options.