3G Modem Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by berkleeboy210, Jun 3, 2008.

1. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

Hi Guys,

I'm planning on buying a MBA next week (so pumped!) and I figure since it's so tiny I'll be bringing my laptop more places than usual.

I currently subscribe to ATT for my cell, and came across the ATT USBConnect 881 3G Card. Will it's USB port fit in the MBA?

I figured I'd get one of these, just so I can get online "anywhere" verses paying for hotspots. For example at my local airport they still charge 10 bucks to get online.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It will be very tight fit, but you can always use a usb extension cable; as will AT&T themselves, I'd get the Sprint unlimited 3G; Sprint does not cap; AT&T caps at 6GB per month.

3. berkleeboy210 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks, I just checked on sprint. I may get the Sierra Wireless Compass 597 A review said it fit perfectly into the MBA.

$49 bucks can't beat it.

4. mark34 macrumors 6502a

the 881 works great. I use it all the time. extremely fast, fits without any sort of adapter.

5. berkleeboy210 thread starter macrumors 68000

thanks, mark.

i was going to buy a refurb 881 which is free on atts website, but they are currently sold out.

I won't be ordering the MBA till early next week. so I do some more browsing over the weekend.

6. LinMac macrumors 65816

I was also looking at the various modem offerings, but my question is a bit different.

Are there any modems available which don't carry a mandatory 1 - 2 year contract? I would like to be able to activate and deactivate the $50 - 80 monthly service when I travel.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No they all have contracts; the only other option you have is Pay-Per-Use.

8. LinMac macrumors 65816

Pay-per-use would be outrageously expensive even for light browsing via a portable wouldn't it? :rolleyes: 5MB for $20 is a joke unless you're on a text only mobile device.

9. berkleeboy210 thread starter macrumors 68000

Just get the unlimited it will be for itself in no time. 59.99 a month (Sprint is the unlimited)

5-6 trips to starbucks or your airport (mine still charges 10 to get online even for a hour) and it's paid for.