3G network dead

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by txa, Jun 24, 2011.

1. txa macrumors newbie

Two days ago my iphone 3GS quit receiving 3G signals. Will only pick up EDGE signal. I replaced SIM card and restored settings to no avail. Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

This is usually a network problem. Maybe carrying out maintenance etc.

3. txa thread starter macrumors newbie

I hope that is all it is. When I turn off the 3G network it works fine on the EDGE network. When I turn on the 3G network it gets no signal at all while other phones in the house get a good 3G signal. Very strange.

Thanks for the suggestion.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Two days is fairly long for a network problem to be affecting you. Have you tried traveling to another area to see if you have the same problem?

When you say “replaced” the SIM, does that mean you got a new one from your carrier? AT&T had issues with the 3G and 3GS SIMS at one time, so if you got a new one, then that’s not the problem.

5. txa thread starter macrumors newbie

Originally I thought the SIM card was bad so I got a new one from ATT. After that did not help I restored factory settings. After that I figured out that it could only get reception on the EDGE network setting.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Did you try calling AT&T and checking to see if there's network issues in your area?
    Tell them what's happening with your phone and see if they can troubleshoot it.

7. txa thread starter macrumors newbie

After doing everything and contacting ATT they believe it is a hardware issue. Now I am trying to decide whether to live with the EDGE network and no 3G until the Iphone 5 comes out or get Iphone 4 now. I am eligible for the upgrade. EDGE is slower than 3G for internet but fine on voice calls.

Thanks for the suggestions.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Wait for the next iPhone. You won’t be sorry. It’s supposedly only a couple months away.

Also, being on EDGE will save your battery life. :)

9. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

HMMM. Or you can haggle Apple into giving you a new phone. Sometimes it works. You can probably just pay like $99 to extend your Applecare and they'll have to give you a new one. Not sure how it exactly works since i never buy Applecare.