3G network gets stuck / inoperable

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bboucher790, Oct 1, 2009.

1. bboucher790 macrumors 65816

bboucher790

Hey guys. I use a 16GB iPhone 3Gs.

Everyday, multiple times a day, my 3G network gets "frozen" and I cannot access the internet, make calls, etc. During this time, my signal strength will not go up or down. It usually shows 5 bars and will not fluctuate signal strength. A lot of the time, I need to reboot my iPhone. Sometimes, however, disabling 3G within the settings will fix the issue. I noticed that disabling Location Services will also "unfreeze" the network, but only occasionally.

This is a very strange issue, I've googled this and found nothing. My roommate had this happen to him yesterday and he needed to reboot the phone to get his 3G signal back, but this happens to me about 3 - 5 times a day :(.

Does anyone else encounter this issue? It looks like it might be having a hard time switching between EDGE / 3G, but that's just a guess. I'm also thinking it may be an app I'm using that is causing this issue, because it constantly happens to me and not my roommate. I had a similar issue last year on my iPhone 3G, but it fixed itself when I returned the phone.

- I had this issue on my first 3Gs, I am now on my second 3Gs. Has not gone away. Both phones were set up as new.
    - I have Reset Network Settings
    - I have Reset All Settings (without erasing data)
    - I used 1 SIM card for both 3Gs phones

My Settings:
    3G Enabled
    Bluetooth Off
    Wifi On
    Location Services On
    Push Off
    Hourly Fetch
    I live in Orange County

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Apple Geniuses will most likely be a waste of time as I have been in contact with them before about this issue, and weren't Genius enough to know what I was talking about....

2. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

It's a bug in the 3.1 software.
    My wife's phone does this all the time. Mine does it occasionally.
    We didn't have this issue prior to updating to 3.1

3. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

I posted about this earlier. happens to me all the time since 3.1

4. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Speak of the devil, the POS just crashed. When it does crash, it asks me for my password before it will reboot. It's so odd. I swap for shut down, it sits there, the PW screen comes up, then it goes back to my home screen for 5 seconds, then the screen goes black and I get the circle for 20 seconds.

5. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

I get the same thing.
    3.1 is complete crap.

6. bboucher790 thread starter macrumors 65816

bboucher790

Please stay on topic. Not trying to be rude, it's just your issue has nothing to do with what we are talking about. 3.1 has many issues. This is not a 3.1 bashing thread. Plenty of those elsewhere.

How often is this happening to you guys? It happens to me multiple times everyday, as I posted previously. Is this an "occasional glitch", or a constant annoyance? Thanks for your replys.

7. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Well, you were being rude. What I was describing is the same thing you described in the original post. I'm sorry for elaborating on what happens to me after 3G/phone fails. Really, my sincere apologies.

The phone will often times show full bars, yet it will connect in Safari/mail and won't make or receive calls/SMS. The only way I can tell it's frozen is if I try to use any of this functionality. Otherwise, it'll just seem like nobody has been calling me for awhile. This occurs every day and I don't know how to reproduce the behavior.

8. bboucher790 thread starter macrumors 65816

bboucher790

3G getting stuck vs. crashing phone = two different things. Also, our issues with 3G seem to be quite different, as I cannot access anything through 3G and you can still access Safari/Mail.

I am sooo sorry I offended you (sarcasm). I just don't like it when people start "expanding" threads to their own personal issues, which have nothing to do with the original post. Once again, my sincere apologies.

On topic, I hope Apple does something to fix this issue soon. I am using EDGE until it is resolved :(. I wonder if ATT will credit me this month's data....

9. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Your sarcasm is appreciated. I'm glad you spelled it out for me because your post wasn't oozing with it as it was. As for my last post, I just re-read it and I noticed I made a huge error. I meant to say, it WON'T connect. I was obviously loopy on pain medication since I just got out of a horrific car accident.

By crashing, I meant freezing. The only difference between what happens with you and what happens with me is when I reboot to resolve the situation, it performs the behavior I previously described regarding asking for my password and then going back to the home screen before shutting down.