3G network scanner app?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 1370235, Aug 30, 2011.

1. 1370235 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I would like an app or find a function whereby I can see all the carriers that are in range at any given time, and their respective signal strengths. I don't need to actually connect to the other networks, I just want to know how strong the respective signals are from the various operators available in my area. This is because in my home I have a poor signal on O2 and would like to see if any of the other networks have better coverage. I find the coverage maps imprecise and would like actual real life data in the locations I mostly frequent.

I have been unable to find, as they say, an app for that. I wonder if anyone can tell me if this is actually achievable? Is there any app that I'm not aware of, or by some hidden function that I'm not aware of, or like wifi scanning is this functionality banned by Apple?

Thanks,
    Tom

2. treestar macrumors 6502

I believe Apple removed all those apps because they illegally used network standards and code without having licenses. You can find what you are looking for if you jailbreak and get apps from cydia, but what you want might be illegal.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

It's a bit of a shame that you can't do something like this. For example, if you're looking for a new phone and you want to find which carrier is best, there's no reliable way to find out. Often you can easily get stuck going with new carrier that claims to have service, then you buy phone/contract and find there is very little coverage.

4. 1370235 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks for the replies, yes it is a shame. I'm not sure I understand why it would be illegal, is it not just a case of displaying the decibel strength of all the network signals that the phone is receiving anyway? I don't really know what I'm talking about to be honest but it seems to me that you wouldn't need to associate with the network, just merely detect it? Any developers on here fancy having a go at this?