3G? New Research Reveals Consumer Interest in Fixed/Mobile Convergence

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SFStateStudent, Mar 26, 2008.

1. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

New survey suggests mobile phone consumers, frustrated by dropped calls and poor reception in the home, are ready for new solutions

San Jose, California - February 13, 2008 - According to a new study commissioned by 2Wire, 42% of mobile phone users experience dropped phone calls or poor reception in the home. Not surprisingly, when consumers ranked the features they consider most important when selecting a mobile phone service, signal strength or coverage ranked highest, followed closely by voice call quality.

These and other findings from the study were released today by 2Wire, a provider of broadband service platforms. The study, conducted by an independent research group in November 2007, surveyed consumers across the United States about their attitudes toward mobile phone usage. Reflecting the attitudes of over 600 respondents, the survey represents a cross section of U.S. mobile and broadband users.

While consumers are using mobile phones in their personal and business lives, the study found that for many users, mobile phone service still falls short of traditional fixed line service consumers expect and rely on. Consumers are looking for fixed line service levels for voice quality in their mobile phone service, and it has become a major factor in driving their purchasing decisions.

In fact, the study found that 43% of respondents would consider switching to a mobile phone service provider that could promise in-home cellular coverage as good as fixed line service. And more than half of the respondents would be willing to renew their existing cell phone service agreements if their in-home cellular coverage and voice quality were as good as their fixed voice service.

Voice calls aren’t the only aspect of mobile phone usage affected by signal coverage issues; cell phone data transfer speeds can be affected as well.

As consumers increasingly begin to use their mobile phones for browsing the Internet or checking email, they will seek data speeds similar to what they experience through their home broadband connections. A majority (65%) of consumers is interested in switching to a mobile phone provider offering in-home cellular Web browsing and email capabilities at speeds as fast as their current high-speed Internet connection.

However, most mobile network data rates are slow compared to fixed broadband networks, and generally become even slower when hampered by poor in-home signal strength. Even next generation 3G networks are able to attain broadband speeds only if the phone is receiving full signal strength.

“Consumers are becoming more and more frustrated by mobile phone coverage disruptions, and they are looking to service providers for continual service improvements,” said Ted Fagenson, executive vice president of corporate marketing and business development for 2Wire. “Fixed-mobile convergence-based solutions will give service providers the best opportunity to fulfill consumers’ service needs while cost-effectively optimizing their customers’ voice and data experience.”

One fixed-mobile convergence-based solution, a femtocell, is a miniature cellular base station specifically designed for use in the home, which vastly improves cellular voice and data coverage and quality throughout the home. By communicating with the mobile carrier’s network through the subscriber’s own DSL connection, the mobile operator’s backhaul costs are also greatly reduced.

When asked about using a femtocell at home, the study found that consumers are open to the technology if it vastly improves their mobile phone voice quality and provides the necessary coverage throughout the home. However, the study reveals that consumers are resistant to buying, installing, and adding yet another device to their already crowded home. Only 37% of consumers would accept an additional piece of equipment.

The study found that consumers are interested in service consolidation, with 61% of respondents “somewhat likely” or “very likely” to purchase a service package from a single provider that includes high-speed Internet, mobile phone and/or fixed line, and television services.

“Consumers are clamoring for easy-to-use, integrated solutions and consolidated service bundles,” said Fagenson. “Introducing integrated broadband solutions such as an intelligent gateway combined with a femtocell, as part of a bundled service package, could represent a major opportunity for telcos to own more of the digital home.”

Telecom operators, industry analysts, and the press may request complete survey results by contacting Eve-Marie Lanza: ELanza@2Wire.com or 408.321.1503.

About 2Wire
    2Wire provides global telecom carriers with broadband products, software, and service platforms that enable an integrated triple play of networked data, voice, and media services. 2Wire products and services include residential gateways, broadband multimedia platforms, intelligent home servers, remote management systems, and call center customer support. 2Wire customers are leading broadband providers throughout the U.S., Canada, Latin America, Europe, Australia, and Asia, including AT&T, Telmex, BT, EMBARQ, Bell Canada, SingTel, and others. For more information, visit www.2Wire.com.

Thought this was pretty interesting with the 3G Networks already on the horizon for us iPhone owners! :cool:

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I would really like it if I could have a phone with high-speed internet access that I could then connect to a device to serve my entire home with internet access (if I so choose). I would also like the ability to have the same phone number as my home number and cellphone number where it would ring to both at the same time, regardless of where I am, and have the ability to turn it off at anytime.

TEG

3. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I 2nd that...

TEG! My greatest concern was the fact that this article pointed out: "Even next generation 3G networks are able to attain broadband speeds only if the phone is receiving full signal strength." With that said, I'm still in the same boat "mediocre signal strength" in my own home! Since on average I have 1-3 bars and float into the dreaded "No Service" on occasion. If there was some way to have my iPhone work off the WiFi (which is FULL 5+ Bars 24/7) I would be one happy iPhone owner! :cool:

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I want something a little more complex than that.

I want my mobile phone and a land line with separate numbers, but when the land line rings and I'm in the house (which could be worked out if its connected to my home network) I'd want my phone to ring.

And since my internet isn't too fast and always being hammered by a brother hooked on Xbox Live I'd like to tether the phones data connection to nearby computers.

But we can dream.

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yes. The other day I was thinking how nice it'd be if my Touch was also a cordless house phone, so I didn't have to carry two devices onto the porch.

However, I believe someone already has a base patent on that (combination cordless phone and internet device), which means either coming up with another concept or paying royalties.

6. arielaa macrumors newbie

You should look into fixed mobile convergence as a solution for your mobile phone and land line solution. 3GC group has a lot of information on phone solutions and FMC technology.

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I hear it can also stop you from resurrecting three year old threads to sell your product...