3G no wi-fi Any Idea If Fixable?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by silver50, Nov 30, 2010.

1. silver50 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if this is fixable, preferably by a non Apple repair shop!

I've exhausted options in trying to fix. I just bought the phone from its first owner who didn't realise wi-fi wasn't working. She rarely even accessed the internet and of course it worked through the network.

It looks like it's seeking wi-fi sources but simply won't find a thing. Everything else on phone is fine.

I've done my best to change any settings and have restored the phone to as a new phone through iTunes as well as updating etc but no joy at all.

I am not going to bother subscribing to a mobile tariff which incorporates internet allowance, hence my lack of wi-fi is somewhat frustrating!!

Thanks

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It's probably the chip on the board that is not working, so it's not worth trying to fix, since you'll need a new board. Sometimes, it's just the solder to the chip, so you could try the oven trick to reheat the solder and possibly fix that issue. However, you risk ruining the whole board. I had the same issue on a 3G, and was only able to get temporary fixes for wifi. It always went back to not working.