3G off, 3G on? Huh?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by hakr100, May 31, 2012.

1. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

I'm using NCSettings, which works fine for me. There's a toggle for "cellular data," which I use to save on battery life, and one for 3G, which I don't use. I'm on Verizon with a 4S...what does the 3G toggle do?

Thanks!

2. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

The 3G toggle turns off the 3G cellular connection type and turns on EDGE. Edge is the older generation cellular connection type. It has a slower data connection than 3G.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

The 3G toggle toggles 3G pretty much. So if your carrier has a backup 2G network, it will use that when 3G is turned off. And although 2G is much slower than 3G, it also uses less battery life. However if your carrier only has a 3G network, turning off 3G will mean you won't be able to use Internet (aside from wifi) texting or calling at all.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Turning off 3G on a Verizon phone will turn off the EVDO data connection and force the iPhone to use the much slower voice network whose acronym I forget at the moment. But it is about half as fast as AT&T's EDGE network.

5. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The difference between "Cellular Data" and "3G" is not something I understand. If I turn off Cellular Data, the phone still works as a phone, but I can't get email or on the internet. I understand that.

I'll have to experiment when I am out of WiFi range.

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

When dealing with cellphones 'data' pretty much means any data transfered except calling and SMS. 3G is the technology that connects the phone to the tower.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You mean 1xRTT? That's worse than dial-up!

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes that. One thing that most people don't know is that when Verizon makes its country wide data coverage maps, it counts that as 3G. Because it is Verizon's 3G voice network. If you were to not count that, Verizon's 3G EVDO data coverage would be about the same as AT&T's. Just like if you include EDGE for AT&T, it'd cover more area then Verizon's 1xRTT+EVDO network.

9. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

You can also turn off wifi and experiment rightaway