3G off contract - how to sell/describe?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by reckoner, Oct 26, 2008.

1. reckoner macrumors newbie

Hi all - I am not a cell phone expert and need some advice. I've searched around but haven't found this answer.

I have an iPhone 3G but then got a free smartphone from work. I can't justify the monthly iPhone bill when I can have a free phone, so reluctantly I have decided to give up the iPhone. I've already ported my number to the new work phone, so now the iPhone shows "no service".

I plan to remove the SIM card and sell the iPhone. How do I describe it? E.g. it's not "unlocked", but it is off contract. And a buyer could do ... what? Run it on T-mobile? Or would they still have to use AT&T, but wouldn't be locked into a contract ... ? I know they will ask so I would like to know exactly what a buyer would be able to do with the phone. Thanks.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    You don't have to sell it as anything other than "iPhone 3G" it is not unlocked, but you can/should jailbreak it because you can sell it for more. They can use it off contract it, or buy a turbo sim and use it on t-mobile. You should mention that in the description

3. primetime305 macrumors newbie

How much are you selling it for, I am looking to purchase an iphone. PM with the info

P.S. Just list it as an iphone, for sale. It is inherent that it is contract free since they are not buying it from ATT or Apple. If it is a 3G it can't be unlocked yet, so they would have to in the US under ATT. If it is the the first generation iphone list it as such and that phone can be unlocked/jailbroken etc.

4. Quincy9219 macrumors regular

Nope, they are still locked to AT&T, and they could use it with an existing contract, i.e., not have to activate a new one, but I don't recommend this