3G on current iPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by insomniac321123, Feb 4, 2008.

1. insomniac321123 macrumors 6502

I am by no means trying to start a rumor, but my school is working with apple to distribute iPhones to ll students and use them for educational purposes. I was talking to one of my teachers who is on the committee working with apple, and he claims that the apple reps said that 3G was only a matter of a software update. I was under the impression that the hardware is what limited it. Which is it: hardware or software?

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It could be possible, but more than likely he/she is confused between the iPhone using 3G and the MacBook(Pro)/iMac/Mac mini using a software update to add 802.11n support.

TEG

4. kdawg macrumors regular

kdawg

5. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Yeah its not possible we found this out a few days after the iPhone was released and dissected, there is no 3g chip in iPhone at all.

6. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

Maybe a 3G addition could be made to the iPhone by selling hardware which could be attacked to the socket thingy at the bottom of the iPhone?

7. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Very unlikely, it would be much hassle when you wanted to dock your iPhone and it would make some cases unusable. The only hope of 3g in an iPhone is when Apple brings out iPhone mark 2.

8. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

Hardly much of a hassle when docking an iPhone.. People actually use the iPhone when it's on it's big dock connected into the wall? :|

9. EnderTW macrumors 6502

Apple would never release a "gps" or "3g" dongle on the end of the iphone. I'll bet a thousand dollars on that.

It would be totally against the design principles of the iPhone, small compact and hassle free. An "all in one" package.

Apple will release iphone version 2 with 3g and other advanced features.

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

The only way to get "3G data" on the current iPhone is to tether it over WiFi to a 3G data device.

A laptop with a 3G data card and internet sharing perhaps. Or a 3G Windows Mobile phone with a free hotspot program, sitting in your other pocket.

:)

11. Edwardz macrumors regular

The reason 3G is not apart of the iPhone 1 gen. is that they did not want the battery being consumed in less than 2 hour talk time. Thus, it would be impossible for the 3G being inside the iPhone currently; it would just consume the battery.

12. insomniac321123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats what I thought. I was just making sure. I cant wait to get my phone from the school:D

13. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

Were the heck do you go to school? The schools that I went to didn't even have computers that were less than 5-6 years old.

14. needthephone macrumors 6502a

Theres no way they would add a add on 3g or GPS module-it goes against their ethos. These guys are obsessed with slimness and design purity-and I say good on them, There are enough companies like Nokia who cram in every possible feature and end up with a carbuncle of a design a mile thick.

15. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

But maybe the new 16 GB iphone has gained more than just memory?

Here's hoping...

16. robrose20 macrumors 6502

robrose20

From what I understand Apple decision not to incorporate 3g in the current model was because of heat issues. All that I've read is that there is no 3G chip in the current Iphone, unless it is not marked. Curious.

17. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Nothing to do with heat, the 3G chip wouldnt produce much heat if any, its battery power as Steve Jobs said in the interview when the UK iPhone was announced.

18. rayward macrumors 65816

I heard that heat, thirst and size were the issues. Also, a fully functioning 3G network isn't widely available, negating its speed advantage. An article (maybe at endgadget) did a study and they estimated that the use of the EDGE/WiFi combo was more space efficient than the 3G chips available at the time of launch. That was before any consideration for the additional heat and the need for a bigger battery.

19. insomniac321123 thread starter macrumors 6502

I go to a smallish(~5000 students) private university in Texas. We have had a long relationship with Apple. Most of the schools computers are intel macs. Its pretty awesome.