3G on GoPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slapguts, Dec 20, 2008.

1. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

I've been using a 2G iPhone since Sept. '07, and am thinking of upgrading to the 3G.

I'd really like to stay on GoPhone, rather than sign a contract for 2 years. I just don't trust AT&T to make it that long without making me want to switch.

The 3G recently changed to a "home activation", can I get one, stick my 2G SIM in, and be good to go? Anyone tried this?

Anyone purchased one from AT&T online, and done the home activation? Did you have to sign up for a contract before your iphone arrived? How does that work?

According to quite a few sources, my curent SIM will work in a 3G. Does it have to be unlocked first? I've heard the Dev Team is releasing a 3G unlock in January, what do I need to know?

Or am I looking at Ebay or Craigslist?

2. kinkster macrumors 6502a

I think both the 2G and 3G iphones work with ATT pay as you go without any modification. either way it will certainly work once they release the unlock, unless some problem/bug comes up.

I know there was something about entering 99999999 as your SS# during activation and then you could sign up for pay as you go.

I also have a question about this myself though..do you have to sign the 2 year contract before getting the iphone? or can you just get one with pay as you go? I assume you have to sign the contract.

3. slapguts thread starter macrumors 6502a

slapguts

Just checked, and to purchase a 3G online from AT&T, you do have to sign up for the contract.

So buying a new 3G to use on GoPhone still isn't possible.

A used 3G will work just fine with a GoPhone SIM, however. The $20 Media Net Unlimited even works for 3G service.

Well, off to Craigslist I go.

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

That service was ended over a month ago.

5. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

Not really... im a GoPhone Pick Your Plan and I have the $20 Unlimited Media Net

6. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

IIRC, if you had it on PYP you'll keep it until it expires. Once it's gone from your account, it can't be re-added.

7. slapguts thread starter macrumors 6502a

slapguts

Only on the "Pay As You Go" accounts. Still available for the "Pick Your Plan" gimmick.

8. hexonxonx macrumors 601

If you use a Pay As You Go plan on a 3G iPhone, AT&T will send you a message stating that you are using a non 3G iPhone sim in a 3G iPhone. They will tell you that you need to convert the plan to a 3G iPhone plan to avoid further charges. They can and will eventually force you onto a 3G iPhone plan.

9. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Forcing you onto a 3G iPhone price plan in such a circumstance would be difficult seeing as how you haven't signed any contract to use any of their post-paid services.

However, if the prepaid TOS lists any ineligible equipment (last time I checked, they didn't) they could and likely would eventually shut off your prepaid service.

10. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I believe it is stated in their TOS that if you use a wireless plan intended for use in another phone that they can change you to the correct plan with or without a warning.

11. hexonxonx macrumors 601

The iPhone is the only phone on AT&T that has this warning stated in the TOS for the phone:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/articles-resources/iphone-terms.jsp
    "Data Plans: An eligible data plan for iPhone is required. This data plan covers data usage in the U.S. and does not cover international data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using iPhone without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee."