3G on New unlocked iphone4 ?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jigsb007, Jun 15, 2011.

1. jigsb007 macrumors 6502

hey,

Now since apple has officially started unlocked iphone4, does it mean we can have 3G speed with T-mobile ? ot still EDGE ?

2. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Unlocking a phone means you can use it with any carrier other than the one it was locked to. So while this means you can use T-Mobile on your iPhone, T-Mobile's 3G frequency is still not supported by the hardware. You will be locked to EDGE.

3. jigsb007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Then whats the benifit spending $750 for an unlock phone, i guess i am happy with gevey sim ( $5 ).
    You can buy locked ATT iphone 4 and use it with gevey.

4. jigsb007 thread starter macrumors 6502

What happens when At&T and T-mobile Merge ? will they change the 3G friquency ? for Tmobile network ?

5. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

There's a ton of benefits to having a factory unlocked phone, especially for people who travel. Having the ability to use any sim card in the phone without any extra steps is a big deal. Sure, the Gevey works great but not everyone wants to repeat those steps every time the phone dies or gets turned off.

The option to update without losing the unlock is available with the Gevey as well but it's not quite the same. No one knows for sure if the Gevey trick will be patched in the official iOS5 release either. If it is, then there's going to be a lot of people with expensive paperweights again.

It depends on the person and what they need. I'm on T-Mobile but luckily have preserved my 1.59.00 baseband since the beginning so I have no issues. If that weren't the case I'd look into a factory unlocked 4 in a heartbeat. I work on iPhones for a living but I'd much rather have an unlocked phone vs the Gevey.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

That's 823.00 after taxes for the 32GB.

7. jigsb007 thread starter macrumors 6502

What if i call AT&T for my unlock code, will they provide ? i bought my iphone from one of my friend and who is ATT customer till now.

Will they provide unlock code, for the iphone 4 which i bought from them and now its almost 2 years.

i used to call tmobile for the unlock code for my blackberry and couple other phone, and in 24 hrs. they mail me with the steps to appply the unlock code.

And thats it, now my blackberry is unlocked and can use it internationally.

8. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

AT&T will provide an unlock for virtually any phone except for the iPhone. They've refused to do it since day 1 and I don't think it will change just yet. It doesn't hurt to try though.

9. APtalent macrumors regular

Of course not.

10. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

As the above poster pointed out, there are a lot of pros in favor of unlocking. Travelling, being able to use prepaid cards abroad, not paying roaming fees. Also not having to repeat the 112 procedure over and over, no fear of Gevey not working all of sudden, etc.

Also, with Gevey you have to be careful of what basebands you update to, as well as iOS updates. You don't have to worry about any of this with a properly unlocked iPhone.

Last I heard, the merging was not approved due to competition purposes. If it finally goes through though, AT&T will continue to use its frequency (assigned by the FCC) and just use T-Mobile's cell towers to further spread and expand AT&T's frequency. The current T-Mobile's would just be discontinued. With an unlocked iPhone, if this were the case, you would go from EDGE to 3G (after all, it's AT&T where it works and T-Mobile would pretty much disappear to become AT&T).