3G options

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FJR, Jul 28, 2008.

1. FJR macrumors regular

Can apple offer an option where you can set your phone to default use Edge for phone calls and 3G for browsing/internet based apps?

I know a lot of people are keeping 3G turned off unless they need it for web browsing, but I don't really see what is to stop it from being an "advanced" option where it works as I described.

ie you stay on edge unless you launch safari, or AIM, or the NY Times app, then it looks for 3G and uses that if available when those programs are launched. Then upon closing it keeps 3G up for like 30 seconds to see if you are going to launch another web based app.

YOu could possibly also pick and choose what auto-launches 3G.

like it would have a menu allowing you to turn 3G of for Phone, E-Mail, safari, web-based apps, etc.

I think this would help users with battery life without going through all the steps of opening settings and turning 3G on and off all the time.

Maybe this should be in the thread about features you want to see added, but that thread is so cumbersome I can't really find anything in it anymore.

2. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

Problem here is that each time you switch from Edge to 3G or back it will drop the current signal and then revert to the next one you choose.

3. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

But would you not prefer to stay on 3G for better voice qulaity too??

4. FJR thread starter macrumors regular

Not a big enough deal to me that it warrants the drastic difference in battery life.

5. FJR thread starter macrumors regular

well yes, but it already does this when I do the switch manually. I don't think its a big deal if I lose connection for a couple of seconds when I open or close safari.