3g or 1st G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by asmith3006, Sep 8, 2008.

1. asmith3006 macrumors member

I'm in the UK and really want an iPhone, but the reviews of the 3G seems to suggest the 1st gen was better. I can have my cousin's old 1st gen if I want.

Which would I be better off using? Paying £100 for the 8GB 3G iPhone or saving my money and using the 1st gen.

I'd like GPS, but it's not a deal breaker for me. The 3G, from what I've read, isn't great. Is it?

Thanks for any and all advice.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The 3G is great, so long as everyone in your area using a 3G are using Firmware 2.0.2. Other issues should be fixed with the next update, including the endless boot when you have loaded too many apps, which affects the iPhone EDGE as well.

Get which ever you think will suit your needs, but most people don't need the 3G, unless they live in a area that didn't/doesn't have EDGE coverage.

TEG

3. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

i think the 3G is great. has it had some issues? of course. you have to remember the rule of thumb when doing research on a tech device- people are much more likely to be posting about things that go wrong then when they are right, so reading iPhone forums can paint a grim picture. it's part of the picture, but definitely not the whole painting.

overall my experience with the 3G has been great, service both call and data is excellent, i've received nothing but top-notch customer service from both Apple and AT&T, the GPS is pretty much spot-on, i love the form factor. i have had to get a few replacement units for sure, but Apple has always been willing to go the extra mile to be sure that i am satisfied with my device.

if you have no need for GPS and 3G isn't a deal-breaker for you, than i'd say go for the 1st gen. but if you think you are going to be using a lot of data and apps that rely on a constant, quick internet connection or GPS, than i say go for the 3G