3G or 2G for T-Mobile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GetAudiHere, Apr 11, 2009.

1. GetAudiHere macrumors regular

So Im want an iphone 16gb but I am with tmo. I plan on unlocking it and using it on my current sidekick plan. My question is:

Would there be any difference between me getting the 3g vs. the 2g?

Any pet peeves with either?

2. Almy macrumors 6502

One thing you'll want to know is that the 3G chip in the iPhone won't work with t-mobile.

3. GetAudiHere thread starter macrumors regular

I know that I wont get 3g speeds but anything else that would make sense to get the 3g instead of the 2g. there is a 2g 16gb for sale for $350 and wondering if I should pick it up.

4. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

You will get gps and a non recessed headphone jack... thats all I can think of really.

I use a 3g on tmobile with a sidekick prepaid plan and everything works great
    its a dollar a day and 15 cents a minute.... if you talk under 200 minutes a month its great...

5. GetAudiHere thread starter macrumors regular

good to hear! Are the black plastic button much to worry about or are they not that big of a deal? Anyone else have any input on the topic?

6. Almy macrumors 6502

If you can wait until summer you should. The old iPhones will get cheaper when the new one comes out. The 3.0 firmware update has a couple things you might want that won't be available on the 2G, like MMS.

7. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

iTzChasE

I'd go for the 3g.

If not, get the G1. I would trade my iPhone for a G1 any day. I just like them better, I'll have to wait until june to decide weather to switch to t-mobile or get the new iPhone.

8. GetAudiHere thread starter macrumors regular

the 3.0 is not going to be available on the 2g iphone?!? this would also mean I would have to wait for the dev team to come out with a 3.0 unlock, but i could wait. damn I actually like the 2g better but if the 3.0 is not going to be available for the 2g i might have to go for the 3g

9. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

if you wait for summer you will be able to find some GREAT deals on the 2G

10. Almy macrumors 6502

Ack sorry, I worded that very poorly. 3.0 will be released for the 2G as well. It's just there are a couple things that won't be enabled for the 2G from it. Like MMS.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why pay extra for a 3G chip when it will be unusable?
    Pick up a 2G, unlock and you're good.

12. GetAudiHere thread starter macrumors regular

What else will not be able to be upgraded on the 2g with the 3.0 besides MMS?

13. docprego macrumors 65816

A2DP

14. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

On 2g you can't receive phone calls while using data. Somebody calls it goes straight to voicemail and never shows on your call log. It rings for the people on the other end so they think you are ignoring them.

15. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

That will happen for the OP with the 3G iPhone too since he'll be using it on T-Mobile's EDGE network.

16. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

well i guess if you use it on the network that you're supposed to be using it on - you won't run into that problem

17. Almy macrumors 6502

That's not entirely true. I run into the same problem using AT&T. They don't have 3G in my area. Since I don't have wifi at home that means I'm always on edge for data. So when surfing my calls go to voicemail.

18. GetAudiHere thread starter macrumors regular

Wow I never new that...thats pretty lame. So other than mms, there is nothing else I would be missing out on? I can always send pics through mail right? I mean my sidekick right now doesnt have mms and I just have the carriers email extensions to send them through. Anything else? Battery?

19. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I've been using a 2G on T-Mobile since last May and I've been ok. There has been quite a few times where I needed GPS but other than that no complaints. Though this summer/fall I plan on selling this 2G for $200/$250 for a physical keyboard phone (treo pro or pre as of now) just as an idea for price drops on the 2G.

20. GetAudiHere thread starter macrumors regular

when are the times you would need gps. Does the 2g triangulate your position anyway? Just not as accurate as gps?

21. TheMBC macrumors 6502

I would NOT wait for summer. Everyone said the same thing last year, that the first gen would get cheaper, in fact: the prices grew! It was the only phone you could unlock.

If you have one that's available to you, just get it. If GPS, headphone jack, and the speaker volume isn't a deal breaker: get the first gen, easier to unlock and handle all together.

22. GetAudiHere thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry this has prob been covered many times but what is the update that is able to be unlocked again? 2.2.1? Also if they upgraded would I be able to restore it and unlock it myself?

23. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

<2.2 can be unlocked. No you can not downgrade and unlock because the base band is permanently changed.

24. GetAudiHere thread starter macrumors regular

ok sorry to keep asking but I may potentially buy an iphone 2g tomorrow and dont want to get stuck with an unlockable one. So in order to unlock where do I have to look under and what is the latest one that can be unlocked. Thanks so much!

25. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

all 2g can be unlocked