3G or 3GS

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by candamo, Jun 28, 2010.

1. candamo macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, im thinking on buying an iPhone in the next month or so, so heres the deal.

I can get a 3G iPhone from the company that provides the service for about 230$. Still the 3GS isnt offered locally so i would have to buy one from ebay, and it will have to be used.

So my question is this. Is the speed difference between 3G and 3GS worth the extra 100-200$? Also count the warranty of the phone isnt covered by Apple in my country, the phone companies cover that. So if you dont buy a phone from them, you dont have any warranty.

Also whats a good price for a used 3GS 16gb?

2. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Don't get a 3G. It runs like a cow with the newest software (and was slow to begin with).

3. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

I myself have a 3G, and with the iOS 4 update, it runs quite a bit slower (even though apps slow it down as well), and I wouldn't mind a 3GS anyday.

Simple answer: Take the small warranty risk and get the iPhone 3GS. In addition, most incidents that happen with the iPhone ends up being water damage or some sort of drop that ends up not being covered by warranty. As long as the phone is in good condition when you get it, you should be fine down the road except for the odd dust slipping through the screen or perhaps if you're unlucky then you may be subject to one or two dead pixels at the worst.
    :) :apple:

4. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Definitely go with a 3GS. It's much faster than the 3G.

Also, if possible, try to find a 3GS with the old Bootrom if you intend to jailbreak.

5. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

I bought a 3G not long ago because it was new and the price was okay. I don't regret it, although I can see slow downs when playing Plants vs Zombies on it and when the level gets crowded. But one should not forget that this thing is supposed to be a mobile phone, not a replacement for a notebook.

Anyway, the warranty and the fact that you could otherwise only purchase a USED phone would be two killer arguments for me to buy a 3G instead of a 3Gs in your case. Unless it's a super-expensive high-end machine that you usually cannot afford when it's brand new, I always prefer buying new equipment. "Neu ist treu" (New is loyal), my grandmother used to say, and according to my experience, I think she was right. Especially with a mobile device you can never really know how it's been treated by its previous owner. I also don't like holding stuff near to my face that has somebody else's smell all over it... (Yes, you can clean it. I've also heard of that trick.)

The lack of warranty quickly becomes an issue in the moment that you need it and have to pay some extra dollars to get it fixed - if they even accept it for repairs, that is. If they don't sell official 3Gs in your region, chances are that they cannot repair it even if they wanted to (no available replacement parts, no proper tools, no trainings on how it can be done - something like that).

If you don't care about any of this, then you can also try and get a new 4G on eBay.

6. Carnage Asada macrumors newbie

Go for the 3GS. The 3G is pretty slow compared to most phones on the market .

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Another for the 3GS. Price wise I just got a 16GB for $250 used in great condition.

After a lot of bidding last week I found the used 16GB 3GS went for $250 to $275 and the 32GB 3GS went for $320 to $350. Ones in mint condition or with appealing accessories went higher.

8. scotty91 macrumors newbie

Definitely the 3GS, with the 3G you are limiting yourself to not getting the newer features (multitasking, custom wallpapers) and is also quite a lot slower due to having 128mb RAM instead of the 256mb in the 3GS. [​IMG]

9. candamo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answers!! I will be getting a 3GS from ebay soon :D:D

10. DaveRobertson82 macrumors newbie

definitely the 3G s, my 3G feels so sluggish and awful to use :/