3G or not 3G......

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rbehennah, Apr 9, 2010.

1. rbehennah macrumors newbie

I live in Singapore which means that it will probably be months before the iPad is actually sold here. I travel a lot (70% of the time) all around Asia so will need access in Airports, Hotels, offices but less so in other areas - I will put it down occasionally.

I have a colleague flying into Singapore from the US next week and has offered to pick up a WiFi version. But should I wait?

Singapore has very expensive data plans and using outside Singapore on a roaming basis will be a killer..............

What to do?

2. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Well, in theory you could get local pay-as-you-go-SIMs in the other countries to avoid getting hit by roaming, but if the plans in Singapore are expensive as you say, 3G is looking less and less interesting anyway...

If the airports, hotels and offices usually got wifi, I'd stick with no-3G.

3. Streethawk macrumors 6502

I'm thinking 3G when we get them here in the UK. Mostly not for the 3G itself though, more for the GPS. 10" screen sat nav? Yes please. :D

4. elleana macrumors regular

Actually 3G isn't /that/ expensive here. I'm on 12GB data a month and it doesn't cost me that much. I have a 32GB 3G version on pre-order with Apple.

Then again, I don't travel for work though so we may have differing usage patterns...

5. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

I would get the 3G, just for the option to have it when traveling. I often travel to Japan and will enjoy the 3G just as I did with my iPhone. Depending on my work situation, wifi only is fine at times. When I'm busy, 3G is essential. I'm waiting for the 3G.

6. rbehennah thread starter macrumors newbie

If by here you mean Singapore then perhaps I need to see your plan :D

However the time I spend outside the country is where my concern comes from.

I am really on the fence on this one - tipping towards early gratification ....