3G or not to 3G: upgrade advice needed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by roland.g, Jul 15, 2008.

?

To upgrade or not to upgrade: 3G is the question

1. Sell my iPhone and upgrade

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Raise my selling price and upgrade (suggested $$)

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Keep my original iPhone and stop tech drooling

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I have an original EDGE iPhone that I have been happy with. I admit that the 2.0 software has made it hang sometimes and the screen sometimes becomes unresponsive at the oddest times, like dialing a number from the keypad - the green call button won't take after tapping several times and things like this. My iPhone is a less than week from going out of warranty and has had good battery life this past year.

I have someone interested in buying my original iPhone which is in pristine shape as it has a Bestskinsever.com skin on it, wrapping the back and sides, keeping it scratch free and the chrome is perfect. I got lucky putting it on and it is spot on. I also have a PowerSupportUSA Crystal Film on the screen. He is willing to give me $175 (he really wants it, emailed me and is offering $200 even) for the iPhone and wants to pick it up today. He will revert it back to 1.1.4 for some reason. Doesn't mean anything to me.

This gets me a new 3G for about $40 after tax is considered, plus add on another $20 for new skins and screen protectors.

I was wondering if I should upgrade and if my selling price is right or maybe a bit too low considering the condition?

1.) What should I be looking to sell my iPhone for?

2.) Should I sell it and upgrade or is it a better idea to keep my original iPhone?

3.) What are the downsides to upgrading? In what ways was the original iPhone better? i.e. build, signal, etc. I know the new one is louder, clearer, etc.

4.) I charge using the dual dock from my Apple BT headset. How easy will it be to mod that dock to fit the new iPhone?

Thanks, any feedback is really appreciated. I don't know if I should just switch at such a low upgrade cost, or if the new features/better signal, internet, speakers, are enough to warrant any setbacks and extra cost. I do like the metal top, and side buttons and the look of the plastic doesn't bother me. It will be in a skin again, so either way I never felt the 'metal' back of my original phone.

My family plan will stay the same, but I am looking at $10 more per month data, and I am still trying to figure the text messaging costs. It doesn't seem that the $5 for 200 per month applies to family plans, only individuals.

Again, thanks for any feedback. I do appreciate answers and not just a vote in the poll, thanks.

2. Stardotboy macrumors regular

Think this is one of those things that is really very much down to you to decide, however here are the main reasons why I have chosen not to upgrade to the 3G model:

What you gain by upgrading
    - GPS features (meh)
    - 3G - depending on how you percieve the connection speed on the original iPhone this may or may not be a reason to upgrade. For my usage the speed on the original one is absolutely fine.

What you lose by upgrading
    - Money
    - Freedom to end your contract at the original end date
    - The knowledge that your phone has no issues with build quality or functionality (probably the most important reason for me)
    - The ability to upgrade early when the next version comes out (highly unlikely they will do similar deals next time around as the 3G iPhone price is subsidized)

Hope this is of some help. For me, the reasons to upgrade didn't come close to the reasons not to - especially in light of the numerous reported problems that the early adopters have brought up with the new model.

3. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

For me it wasn't the GPS as much as that is nice too, nor too much the 3G though I also like the sound of that, EDGE is quite slow to browse on and/or download emails with any attachments. I guess I like the features, I also like the look and the metal buttons. I have read that there may be a design flaw that dusting is getting in through the speaker holes on the bottom as people are noticing it under the glass after a day or two. But who knows. That goes to build quality and knowing that there are no issues with it. As for functionality, I have already seen my phone slow down and get hung trying to do things with the 2.0 software. It is laggy. Not sure if that affects the 3G as well.

Lastly, my iPhone is 2 days away from 1 year old. I could actually still buy Applecare for it. So at a minimal upgrade cost to me $25-40 total incl. skin, etc. I feel that I would be getting a brand new device with no wear, no battery decline, etc., whereas my original iPhone could crap out at some point in the next year and then I would have no warranty and nothing to sell.

It really is a tough decision. I'm sure my wife would tell me 'you want to do what!' But that's another story. Just trying to get some good info. I suppose that I don't have to rush into, I may find another buyer in a few weeks at or near the same price.

Any other feedback. Input?

4. View macrumors regular

I haven't yet purchased the iPhone 3G my self, but I'm pretty sure from what I've read that the hanging/lagging issue affects the 3G one as well.
    I'm also deciding whether or not I should upgrade to the new one.

Stardotboy brings up a good point about stuck in a 2-yr contract and not be able to upgrade when the new iPhone comes out (next year?) as it's already subsidized.

5. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

Being 1 yr into a 2 yr contract just means that I start over. Will a lot change in the next year. Will it be so bad to wait 2 yrs next time around. Or should I wait another year now and see what next summer brings. Will the iPhone be sub-d next year or will .... all valid questions. Who knows.

Maybe I should just keep mine. I'm like a moth it seems always attracted to the light of Apple's latest and greatest, though I have hardly ever acted on it. I had G4 PowerMac for 6 yrs before upgrading. I had an older iPod for a long time before getting the 2G Nano. But I did buy an Apple TV week 1 and an 8GB iPhone 2 weeks after launch last year.

6. ginguar macrumors regular

I got a 3G one and have just sold my original to a friend for the lower end of the price range they are going for on ebay, means I have more money now that I do a week ago.

I upgraded and got myself a 16Gb instead fo my original for a few reasons

1) chance to get a more capacity on phone (16Gb)
    2) 3G, I've started checking out my usual sites on the way into and home from work on the bus, over edge it was slow but not unbarable, but the big downside is when you are using the EGDE network you cannot receive calls, this for me was very important.
    3)GPS, not really nessesary but a nice + given there have been a few times that I've had to get my other half to navigate us to somewhere just using the phone.

thoes were my reasons but they won't be things that are important for everyone.

7. hard-case macrumors regular

hard-case

Don't know if this will apply for you, but in addition to 3G and GPS, these factors pushed me into the upgrade camp:
    1) Form factor - don't know why, but it feels more comfortable to hold this phone. The curve of the body both looks nice and seems to fit my hand better. I like the new button design, it seems a lot slicker and more polished. And I LOVE the look of the black case.
    2) Speaker - my biggest complaint with the original iPhone hardware-wise was that the speaker was terrible. The 3G iPhone has a much better speaker. Not only is it considerably louder than the original, it is much clearer and more responsive. Several ringtones I simply couldn't use on the original (speaker distortion became terrible) come through crisp, clear, and loud on the 3G model.
    3) Clarity - I've already been told by several people that I sound much clearer on the 3G iPhone than I did on the 2G. On the receiving end, there's less distortion and more clarity. I don't have to keep the volume at max to hear them, especially on the speakerphone.

8. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

Do you mind me asking what you sold yours for and which model it was. I have an 8GB and will plan on getting the same. Going to sell for $200 and worried that is too low. I have a skin on it that has kept it in perfect shape since I got it and took quite a while to apply correctly. I am only selling it with an iPhone cable, no docks or chargers, though I could add my dock, but I don't think my current buyer will offer me anymore.

At this point I would almost break even on the upgrade as I would end up paying $14 tax, $18 AT&T upgrade fee, and $8 for a new skin. And I would need to carve up my Apple BT Headset Dual Dock a bit in order to get the iPhone 3G to fit it as that is my primary charging location.