3G or nothing...no E

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Metsfan7450, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Metsfan7450 macrumors regular

Metsfan7450

I'm trying to figure out why my is never on the Edge network. It's my understanding that if you're on 3G it says 3G (which mine does) and if you're on the Edge network it should say E.

Mine is either 3G or nothing. Shouldn't it be switching over to the Edge network if 3G isn't available?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It depends on if EDGE is available in your area. There are some places where you only have 3G or nothing, like Japan, or some small pockets in the US and Europe. However, if you are in a place where you know there is EDGE, I would take the phone back because there may be a problem with the antenna, or EDGE Chip.

TEG

3. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Some locations like most of Europe has been noticeably laying off Edge support since 3G by far is quite well developed..... so its likely that remote areas might have more 3G coverage than Edge!

My $.02

P.S.: 3G and Edge require different infrastructure!

4. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Mine was doing this, too. A restart seemed to fix it, but I exchanged it for a new one last Sunday just to be safe. My old one had a faulty camera anyway.

5. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

I get nothing but GPRS... but I'm rather happy with the speed of that.

6. jturn00 macrumors member

Where are you located? I am in NYC and for the past day this has been happending to me. Not sure why as I had 3G in both my home and office.

7. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

I would rather use pigeons than GPRS.

8. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

It gets me on msn and thats all I care :)

9. Metsfan7450 thread starter macrumors regular

Metsfan7450

I'm in Columbus OH and just bought the iphone on Sat. I still have never seen the "E" for the Edge network.

10. montecarloss919 macrumors member

i called AT&T because i had this problem, and the guy sent me a signal boost? what ever that means...and it worked :)

11. /b/ macrumors member

I on the other hand haven't seen the GPRS logo on my phone ever. I'm still figuring out whether is my phone missing GPRS or somthing.

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Hahaha. Amen brother!