3G - OS 3.0 - iTunes 9.0.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mac.junkie, Jun 30, 2010.

1. mac.junkie macrumors member

mac.junkie

I've never JB'd my phone and obviously have lagged on updates. I want to upgrade the firmware on my 3G but don't want to go with iOS4 due to lagging issues. I'm thinking 3.1.2 is my best bet, but want some advice before proceeding.

Do I need to save my SHSH blobs before updating firmware? If so, can I still JB on 3.0 or do I need to update firmware, JB, then save blobs? Do I need to upgrade iTunes or am I okay staying with 9.0.1?

Also, is the correct procedure to update firmware, restore with iTunes, then JB? Of should I update firmware, JB, then restore? Does the order matter?

And finally... any thoughts on Spirit over blackra1n? I'm leaning toward Spirit.

2. PaulDoFish macrumors regular

If you update to 3.1.2 you will have to use iRecovery to get it out of recovery mode. I would recommend just going to iOS 4. It will not lag on your 3G as long as you DON'T ENABLE MULTITASKING. It actually goes as fast as OS 3.x.

So here's what you should do: Update your iTunes to 9.2 (latest version), update your iPhone to iOS 4.0, and use redsn0w 0.9.5 b-5 to jailbreak.

Since you have a 3g and not a 3Gs, shsh blobs are not relevant.

3. mac.junkie thread starter macrumors member

mac.junkie

Thanks for the info, PaulDoFish. :cool:

I may still try 3.1.2 and if it's a problem, can always go to iOS4. I guess I'm too late to JB my 3.0?

4. PaulDoFish macrumors regular

You CAN jailbreak at 3.0 if you really wanted to using blackra1n or an older version of redsn0w that supports 3.0

It would be pretty confusing for a beginner to upgrade to 3.1.2 at this time because apple has stopped signing that firmware when 3.1.3 came out. It requires the windows command prompt and typing in commands to make it work. If you are not tech-savvy, I wouldn't recommend it.

5. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

I'd just upgrade to 3.1.3 and use Pwnage 3.1.5 and the current UltraSn0w to unlock. I've done that on 3 different phones and they work great.

6. PaulDoFish macrumors regular

The problem with that is that he would need to use iRecovery and use a string of commands to get his phone working as Apple has stopped signing the 3.1.3 firmware. Again, if you are not tech-savvy, I wouldn't recommend it.

7. mac.junkie thread starter macrumors member

mac.junkie

I work in IT (Windows admin) and am comfortable with command line; I've just never done a JB before and want to know ahead of time what I need to do. Is that all I'll need command line/terminal for, to kill the recovery loop? iRecovery looks pretty straight forward.

I don't want to unlock - only JB.

One more question - if things go horribly wrong and I want to recover, would it be iOS4 or can I recover with an iTunes backup of my OS 3? (I'm thinking it might do a clone type of backup in case you wonder why I'm asking this.)

Thanks for your help.

8. PaulDoFish macrumors regular

Yes the iRecovery line should be VERY VERY straightforward for someone with a background like yours.

Yes that is all you need the iRecovery line for; to kill the recovery loop. After you try to restore to OS 3.x it will give you an error and you must use the recovery loop to get out.

So the easy way would be to go to iOS4 and jailbreak using redsn0w.

But if you're afraid of slowdown (even though I think the "slowdown" is non-existant), then you can go to 3.x.x, use the iRecovery to get out of recovery boot cycle, and an older version of redsn0w to jailbreak (the newest redsn0w only works on iOS 4)