3G outage in Los Angeles???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jb-LA, Sep 9, 2008.

1. jb-LA macrumors newbie

I've owned my iPhone 3G for almost a month, and I've generally had great 3G service... until this afternoon. I always left my 3G enabled, and never had any issues.

My phone has no service – voice or data – with 3G enabled. When I disable 3G, the phone suddenly has 5 bars and Edge service.

Is anyone else in L.A. experiencing sudden problems with their iPhone service when 3G is enabled? I'm located near the USC campus...

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

3. jb-LA thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, rebooted several times. I just can't seem to get back on the 3G network.

Once I reboot, it will show no bars, then it will switch to a "No Service" message. Once I disable 3G, 5 bars and Edge appear.

I'm near the USC campus, and I've generally had terrific 3G service... if I ever lose 3G around here, the phone will switch to Edge. However, that's not the case this time...

4. slidetounlock macrumors regular

I live, work, and play all day in Los Angeles, I was downtown today, in Burbank for work, and then The Valley to meet my girlfriend, had 3G all the time. Toggle airplane mode i suppose....

5. jb-LA thread starter macrumors newbie

I performed a restore in iTunes, and now at least the phone can remain on 3G mode – it now switches to Edge on its own, which is an improvement. I still can't get on the 3G network from home like I normally do, but at least I don't have to manually turn 3G off.

6. jb-LA thread starter macrumors newbie

It took approx. 3 hours to complete, but the restore process fixed my iPhone 3G's aberrant behavior. It seems to be switching between 3G and Edge appropriately now, and I no longer need to manually toggle 3G service in order to maintain voice service.

I appreciate your responses.

7. yode macrumors 6502

im right by USC campus (Ellendale / Adams) where i normally have very good 3G coverage, and now i only have edge...
    edit: I now have 3G... weird. but happy nonetheless