3G owners - is it safe to upgrade to iOS4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maflynn, Dec 20, 2010.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have an old 3G, now that there's been a number of updates to iOS4. Has apple corrected the issues related to iOS4 on the 3G?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I did, but only to wipe the jailbreak and restore so I could sell it. However, after updating I tried it out for a bit and it seemed perfectly fine to me.

3. ZenErik macrumors 6502

I wouldn't recommend it. Unless you don't mind your phone being like a 12 year old PC trying to run Windows Vista.

4. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well, that's why I'm asking. Jobs mentioned that they're working on the problem in July. Now that we're at 4.2, I was hoping that it was fixed by now

5. ineedamac macrumors 6502

It all depends IMO. I have a 3G and it is nice to have the folders to organize my apps. That by far is the biggest feature of 4.2 that I use on my 3G since I cannot use many of the features in 4.2.

It is still slow to open the iPod at times but other than that I'm ok with 4.2.

I think for me it is time to get an iPhone 4. Not because 4.2 sucks on my 3G more because I want some of the features that 4.2 brings that I cannot use on my 3G.

6. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So you're not seeing any performance issues with playing games or anything?

7. icewing macrumors 6502

I upgraded my wife's 3G, and it seems just as responsive as 3.1.3. I had upgraded to 4 for awhile but performance was terrible, went back to 3.1.3. Of course, it's nowhere near as fast as my iphone 4... :D