3G provide wifi for another device?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lokerd, May 7, 2010.

1. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

[Sorry if this a FAQ and answered elsewhere already.]

I had talked myself out of exchanging my wifi model for the 3G...then it occurred to me that if I could provide a wifi to my wifes itouch, that would be really cool.

I have been looking at the personal wifi units...but if the extra $30 was enough to sway me away from the ipad 3G...I definitely don't want to do $60 a month.

If it's not possible now...is it ever possible for the iPad 3G to share it's signal?

Thanks!

2. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Doubt if it will be anytime soon. $30 is just too great a price for unlimited service.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yes i believe it is possible, but you need to jailbreak. im not certain if there is an app anywhere.

if you had a nokia it would be so much easier

4. lokerd thread starter macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Well, I am stuck with a palm centro on sprint for the foreseeable future.

I can't justify $30 for the few minutes per day I am away from wifi (thanks to another member on another thread for pointing this out)...unless my wife could also get online with her touch.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hmm maybe there is a palm based app that can do it? i not sure :(

6. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

yes there is an app that allows you to do that, its a jail broken app tho its the equivalent to mifi for the iphone the name of the app i cant remember but if you search the forums or a another member will know im sure this is an app i just cant remember but as for you just decide whether to jailbreak or not.:D

7. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Yes, I tested it and it works. I was able to connect my desktop computer to the iPad and access the internet.

You need to jailbreak the iPad and get the MyWi app from Cydia. It costs $10 and there is no monthly fee.

8. Resist macrumors 68030

How is $30 a great price? 3G service is slow as all get out, when you are used to WiFi. At least it is when I use an iPhone for my area.