3G question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by shortie8512, Aug 28, 2011.

1. shortie8512 macrumors member

I am travelling to the US on business soon and thinking of picking up an 3G iPad. Question is, if I buy the iPad with 3G in the US can I get it working in the UK with a UK mobile provider? I've read that the iPad for the Verizon network has no sim card so it can't be used on any other network. Is this true for all iPad's or just ones from the US? I was under the impression they had SIM cards in them...

2. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

The Verizon iPads and iPhones are CDMA so don't have a SIM card and don't work elsewhere in the world, the AT&T iPads have a SIM card (micro I think) and are unlocked so you can pop in any SIM and if that carrier supports the same bands the iPad uses for data then you are golden, AT&T iPhones however are locked to AT&T.

3. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Previous post is accurate. Just to fill out the options, if you purchase an iPad from Apple (or another reseller like Best Buy) you'll have a choice between a wifi and a 3G model and a choice between a Verizon (CDMA) and AT&T (GSM) model among the 3G choices. If you purchase an iPad from a cellular carrier, you'll want to go to an AT&T store. They (obviously) carry only the GSM version. No difference in prices, by the way, wherever you purchase.

If you opt for an AT&T 3G model, you'll have no problem replacing the SIM card when you return to Europe.

By the way, a wifi only model will also work in Europe where a wifi network is available or the iPad is either tethered to an appropriate phone with 3G capabilities or to a mobile hotspot that acts as a "hub" for the wifi signal via a cellular network.

I mention this only because some folks mistakenly believe they must have a 3G iPad in order to use it outside the US. That is not the case. Wifi, unlike cellular networks, is not bound by national borders.

P.S. It's likely that you were under the impression that all iPads have SIM cards because in Europe there would be no point in selling a CDMA version of the device.

4. shortie8512 thread starter macrumors member

Excellent, thanks a lot guys. I'll make sure I pick up an AT&T iPad 2 :)