3G reception - Austin, Texas

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AustinSTI, Oct 22, 2008.

1. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

Has anyone noticed that you are on Edge more frequently in Austin? The past week or so I've noticed I'm on edge almost all the time in areas where I was consistently on 3G. Is there an outage or something?

2. psilly macrumors newbie

3g reception Austin TX

This week, Jan 26, 2009, I have noticed that I don't get 3g where I once got 5 full bars of 3g service. I have walked into an AT&T store and was told to call and report a degregation in service. After discussing with support, I still do not see an improvement.

Is anyone else having problems around Riverside and Congress 78704?

3. ericfelt macrumors newbie

4. hsk macrumors regular

Well, I bought one last week (1/21) after deciding that I should have great 3G coverage (620-Brushy Creek area) according to the map but no luck. It would pick up the signal - full bars, then drop to 2 and then switch to EDGE once I hit the browser. It was very frustrating and I took it back on Friday. I guess it was an omen - I am now going to wait until the next one comes out. Hopefully, things will improve in the network as well as with the next rev itself.

5. hsk macrumors regular

Just wondering if anyone from Austin could chime in and let me know if the network has improved in the past few months? I thought that the SXSW fiasco caused ATT to upgrade the network here. I had an iPhone in Jan. but the signal in north Austin was so bad I took it back. I am looking again at the new version coming this summer but I still need to make phone calls!

6. gwm1952 macrumors newbie

I've been using an iphone in Austin for about 3 months now. Live in the 2222/Mopac area and work up north near Parmer and Mopac. No problems with 3g anywhere I've been.

7. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Went to Austin two weeks ago, hung out downtown and north area off 183, signal was OK. I went in a few buildings where I lost it while my friend with Verizon had no problems. Downtown area was good, but I did get a few dropped calls.

8. hsk macrumors regular

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to hold off buying a Pre until I see it and will probably wait until the iPhone is announced - and est shipping is released. Still would love an iPhone - but maybe a Microcell would be a big win too as I make 90% of my calls in my home office.

Ah, the summer of the smartphone - many choices to make!

9. AustinSTI thread starter macrumors 6502

I've hand more dropped called in the past 3 months (since SXSW) than the previous 9.

10. hsk macrumors regular

Well, that really stinks.

11. fluff macrumors member

Got this Text Message

I got the following text message May 12th:

Great News! AT&T has significantly upgraded our 3G wireless network in Austin. We have invested millions of dollars in enhancements to make sure you enjoy the benefits of superior service. Thanks for choosing AT&T.

to tell you the truth, 3G was so bad before I never used it, just kept it turned off as I was always dropping calls on 3G and never on edge. Since that text message I have turned 3G back on and have actually had no problems....

12. hsk macrumors regular

Thanks fluff. I am also eyeing the Microcell when it arrives. I make most of my calls from home (home office). My Sprint line is not perfect, but I rarely have a bad connection or dropped call. I just don't really want to go in reverse *if* I make a switch to ATT.