Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhs7787

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Quick question: When I look at ATT's coverage area it shows I have moderate coverage, which is accurate, but when I click the icon to show 3G coverage it says I have full coverage. I bought the 2g iphone a couple months back but the moderate coverage was not really sufficient for use in my house so I returned it. My question is, because the new iphone is 3g is there a chance my coverage will improve or is 3g only pertaining to data services?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Quick question: When I look at ATT's coverage area it shows I have moderate coverage, which is accurate, but when I click the icon to show 3G coverage it says I have full coverage.

Actually, it doesn't. AT&T's 3G map doesn't show degrees of coverage. It either shows that you (theoretically) have a 3G signal, or that you don't.

My question is, because the new iphone is 3g is there a chance my coverage will improve or is 3g only pertaining to data services?

Unfortunately, it's hard to say. There are some things working in your favor. For one, the old iPhone's mostly-metal casing was known to cause reception issues in some cases. The redesign should help with that. And second, usually a 3G signal will be pretty stable if you can receive it.

In any case, you can try it for 30 days if you like.

aerove

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2007
Atlanta,GA
its not just restricted to data.. but then u ll have to consider other things, for one.. ur battery wont last long if you use the phone full time on 3g.. and one more thing.. do call up at&t to confirm if the 3g coverage IS working or is proposed to work fully sometime soon

rhs7787

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Thanks for the replies. Yeah I really miss having the iphone. The speaker quality/volume and reception unfortunately made me switch back to Sprint. It seems like some of these issues were addressed in the 3g version. Like you guys mentioned, the only way to really test it again would probably be to just try them out again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.