3g Restore

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cs0373, May 30, 2011.

1. cs0373 macrumors member

Good Morning everyone,

I've searched for the answer to my question but I couldn't really find what I was looking for (perhaps it was the way I phrased it in the search box?). Anyway I thought I would just ask. My son has a 3g iPhone currently on 4.1 and it is jailbroken. He wants to just restore it to normal because it takes FOREVER to do anything on it. Now, I don't think I can just plug it into itunes and update it since the most current firmware (4.3.3) is not compatible with his phone, am I correct on that? Or will it update it to the most recent one that is compatible? Or do I have to download the firmware from iclarified.com and restore it that way? I looked on their site too but didn't really find the answer to my question. I found the firmware download page but not if I could do that or not.

I appreciate any response from those who take the time to read my post. Thanks!

2. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Download 3.1.3 and restore via iTunes.

The 3G firmware is not signed like the current devices are, and you can go back to iOS 3 no problem. From there you can re-jailbreak on a far more useable firmware, provided he wants it jailbroken again. Other than that just use it as normal on 3.1.3.

You can get 3.1.3 here.

3. cs0373 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you WeegieMac. One more question, I know I won't be able to restore from a backup since the OS will be older than the one he currently has but will he lose all his game status' and his apps? Or will they be there once he syncs his stuff back to his phone?

4. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

You won't be able to restore the back up as it's from a newer version of iOS.

All his apps won't be lost, as they'll be stored on iTunes and he can sync and transfer them over. His save games will be lost however, but it gives him reason to play them again!

5. cs0373 thread starter macrumors member