Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
Just a warning to those using the 2G data plan with a 3G or 3GS iPhone.

We likely won't have MMS on our iPhones this Friday. They are activating it on those who have 3G data plans because only the 3G and 3GS iPhone will be able to use MMS.

Kalkat102

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2009
I have a iphone 3GS and a 3G with a $10 data plan. ive had them for months even back when i had 2 3G and i ive never recieved any messages from ATT and ive also had MMS for months now.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
That's true but I get 3g and everything. Only thing I miss out on is visual voice mail but it's worth it for me
Yes any sim will get 3G service if it's placed in a 3G iPhone on the AT&T network. That's just how AT&T service works.

I have a Gophone sim that I can use in my 3G or 3GS iPhones and it too will get 3G service.

weeman

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2007
Orange County, CA
Yes any sim will get 3G service if it's placed in a 3G iPhone on the AT&T network. That's just how AT&T service works.

I have a Gophone sim that I can use in my 3G or 3GS iPhones and it too will get 3G service.

So basically what you are saying is if we are rocking the $20 iphone 2g data plan with the 3gs, we should be able to get MMS, correct?

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
So basically what you are saying is if we are rocking the $20 iphone 2g data plan with the 3gs, we should be able to get MMS, correct?

No. I'm betting that we won't be able to send MMS on our phones because we are on the 2G data plan.

AT&T and Apple have said that MMS will be available on the 3G and 3GS iPhones but that's because they have the 3G data plan. AT&T is going through all the accounts and enabaling MMS. They have no reason to do so on 2G data plans since the 2G iPhone is not capable of MMS. Since they have no reason to enable them on the 2G data plan, a 3G or 3GS iPhone probably won't help. I could be wrong though and we won't know till Friday. Understand?

weeman

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2007
Orange County, CA
No. I'm betting that we won't be able to send MMS on our phones because we are on the 2G data plan.

AT&T and Apple have said that MMS will be available on the 3G and 3GS iPhones but that's because they have the 3G data plan. AT&T is going through all the accounts and enabaling MMS. They have no reason to do so on 2G data plans since the 2G iPhone is not capable of MMS. Since they have no reason to enable them on the 2G data plan, a 3G or 3GS iPhone probably won't help. I could be wrong though and we won't know till Friday. Understand?

Gotcha! I'm pretty sure we will get the carrier update through itunes but getting it to send and receive MMS is another story...here's to hoping they remove the block!

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
Gotcha! I'm pretty sure we will get the carrier update through itunes but getting it to send and receive MMS is another story...here's to hoping they remove the block!

Yes, anyone with a 3G or 3GS iPhone will get the carrier update on Friday because iTunes will be checking for this no matter what service the phone is under.

If we don't get MMS enabled for our accounts, I don't know if this is worth paying an extra $15 a month for the 3G service (it's $15 because the 2G data plan is only $20 which includes 200 SMS).

weeman

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2007
Orange County, CA
Yes, anyone with a 3G or 3GS iPhone will get the carrier update on Friday because iTunes will be checking for this no matter what service the phone is under.

If we don't get MMS enabled for our accounts, I don't know if this is worth paying an extra $15 a month for the 3G service (it's $15 because the 2G data plan is only $20 which includes 200 SMS).

Exactly what I was thinking...I'm pretty sure if I have MMS I'd use it quite a bit, but if I didnt have it I wouldnt mind either...as long as I have my texting I'm happy.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I'll just help out the masses with a little more confirmation.

There is no need to get a second or new SIM card. Simply taking the SIM out of your 3G/S and putting it in your old iPhone will get you the $20 data plan. I used said data plan for the entire time I had the 3G and dropped it when I got the 3GS.

I got one text message and one email at the end of every billing cycle reminding me my data plan was ineligible. AT&T never did a thing to fix it. I spoke with CS reps several times and they never said a word.

EDIT: Just a thought; you figure if you're able to switch a SIM from a 3G(S) into a first gen to get the data plan discount, wouldn't you be able to switch from a first gen to a 3G or S to get the MMS block removed from your account?

weeman

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2007
Orange County, CA
I'll just help out the masses with a little more confirmation.

There is no need to get a second or new SIM card. Simply taking the SIM out of your 3G/S and putting it in your old iPhone will get you the $20 data plan. I used said data plan for the entire time I had the 3G and dropped it when I got the 3GS.

I got one text message and one email at the end of every billing cycle reminding me my data plan was ineligible. AT&T never did a thing to fix it. I spoke with CS reps several times and they never said a word.

EDIT: Just a thought; you figure if you're able to switch a SIM from a 3G(S) into a first gen to get the data plan discount, wouldn't you be able to switch from a first gen to a 3G or S to get the MMS block removed from your account?

I was thinking about calling ATT on Friday and telling them to remove my the mms opt out...don't know how that will go though.

On a side note Bloodsport is the greatest Van Damme movie ever made.

weeman

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2007
Orange County, CA
Now that the carrier update is officially out...I can confirm it is NOT working on iPhone 3g/s on 2g data plans (for me at least)

Is it working for anyone out there?

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
Now that the carrier update is officially out...I can confirm it is NOT working on iPhone 3g/s on 2g data plans (for me at least)

Is it working for anyone out there?

It will not work. I called AT&T to confirm. I decided to go back to the 3GS data plan and added 1500 SMS as well.

As soon as I switched plans, MMS started working under 3.1 using the old carrier update.

weeman

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2007
Orange County, CA
Ahhhh...im debating whether to get rid of my $30 2G iphone plan (data + 1500 text) for the 3G plan which will cost me $45 a month...decisions, decisions.

Thanks for the confirmation by the way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.